Using wild plants for teas is another great way to create your own “backyard” herbal medicines.
Using wild plants for teas is something all “off the gridders” should consider. Heres why:
In an effort to use all the resources at your disposal (and to save money) learning how to use the “weeds” that are growing in your backyard or in the forests or fields on your property is a great idea. The truth is, the “wild areas” around your home literally abound with plants that are more than just additional greenery. And. many natural and native plants are not only edible but make excellent teas.
These teas are tasty and also nutritious or medicinal. People have been using wild plants for teas and tonics for thousands of years, but much of the knowledge escapes most of us. It’s time to take to the yard and look for some of these delightful herbals for your next cup of tea.
Using Wild Plants For Teas – Drying, Storing
The first lesson is to be very, very sure that you can correctly identify the plant you are about to harvest. Not all your wild greenery is friendly, so to avoid mistaking a nice herb for something poisonous, consider investing in a good plant identification book. A good one should cover your part of the country, have detailed descriptions and images, and mention any plants that are commonly misidentified.
In general, when you are harvesting and using wild plants for teas, you want the leaves of the plant. Simply pluck off the leaves as you need them or use sharp kitchen shears. The best time to harvest is in the morning after the dew has dried. It is also ideal to harvest just before flowers form, but it is not necessary. If you can see the leaves and they are in good shape, go ahead and take them. Because the leaves are the source of flavor and fragrance, be careful not to bruise, crush, or tear them while harvesting. You want them intact for later. With some plants, you will be harvesting the flowers or even the roots, rather than the leaves. If you are using the leaves only, you can collect the flowers for display in your home. They will smell and look lovely in a vase.
To use your wild herbal leaves for tea, you can either dry them or use them fresh. If you are harvesting a lot of leaves and want to save some for later, you can dry or freeze them for storage. Typical measurements for making tea from fresh leaves and dry leaves are three teaspoons and one teaspoon, respectively, per cup of water. If you will be drying your herbs for storage, harvest complete branches with the leaves intact. Dry them by hanging the branches upside down in a cool, dry place that is free from disturbances, dust, and debris. When they are dry, remove the leaves from the branches, crumble them by hand, and store them in glass containers. Another way to preserve your herbs is to freeze them. Pick the leaves from the branches of the plant and put them whole into resealable freezer bags.
People have been using wild plants for teas and tonics for thousands of years.
Using Wild Plants For Teas – Plants to Find and Harvest
Depending on where you live, there is any number of wild plants you could use for tea. Here is a selection of some that make the finest and most useful teas.
- Raspberry, Blackberry, and Strawberry. The leaves of these wild berries make a very pleasant tea. As you await the pleasure of biting into the fresh, wild fruits, harvest a few leaves to make nice teas. Strawberry tea, in particular, is astringent, aids in digestion, and makes a good fix for diarrhea, especially for children. Raspberry and blackberry leaves also make an astringent tea with a stronger flavor than strawberry leaves. The tea made from these leaves are chock full of vitamins and minerals.
- Dandelion. Dandelion wine is not the only beverage you can get from this lovely “weed.” Dandelions are edible to their core. You can eat the leaves and flowers, make “coffee” from the roots, and make tea from the leaves. An infusion of dandelion leaves provides you with a good dose of nutrients and also soothes your stomach. Dandelion greens have a tendency to be bitter so go for the smallest, youngest leaves, and if the tea tastes bitter to you, add a dollop of honey to sweeten it.
- Mint. Peppermint grows wild and profusely. A sure way to know you have a patch of peppermint is to break a leaf and take a sniff. You cannot mistake that peppermint smell. The plant also produces an abundance of small, purple flowers. Peppermint tea is soothing and delicious. It is very refreshing as an iced tea in the summer and warming as a hot tea in winter. The smell alone should make you feel relaxed, and drinking the tea will make your upset stomach feel much better. Wintergreen is a different minty plant. It is a shrubbery that produces small, red berries. Wintergreen is slightly toxic, but in spite of that, you can make a tasty tea from it that reduces pain. It contains an aspirin-like substance, so anyone allergic to aspirin should avoid wintergreen altogether.
- Pine Trees. The needles of several pine trees can be made into a tea with a very unique taste. Some might call it an acquired taste, but the nutritional value of pine tea cannot be denied. Pine needles have very high quantities of vitamin C, and the tea provides a big jolt of this essential compound. Use fresh, green needles, wash and chop them, and cover about one tablespoon with a cup of boiling water. Let the needles steep for five to ten minutes. You can experiment with different types of pine needles and mixtures of them for different flavors, but do not use yew, Norfolk Island pine, or Ponderosa pine. These plants are poisonous! Also, pregnant women should not drink pine needle tea.
- Wild Rose. Wild roses are lovely, but they also make a great tea. The leaves, though, are not the source of tea from wild roses. You want to use the rose hips, or the fruit that comes after the flowers die. The rose hips are high in vitamin C and other nutrients and when made into a tea, provide a tangy, delicious, hot beverage. Pick the hips and crush them slightly before steeping in hot water.
- Wild Herbs. Peppermint is not the only herb that grows wild. Other wild herbs are great for cooking, but they also make wonderful teas. Wild marjoram, also called wild oregano, makes a nice, relaxing tea when used fresh or dried. Wild thyme makes a tea that is soothing for when you have the flu or a cold.
- Sassafras. The root of the sassafras tree is the ingredient that gives root beer its name. One way to know you have a sassafras tree, besides a good visual identification, is to smell the sap. It should smell like a root beer. The roots can also be made into a nice, hot tea. You should collect roots when the sap has run into them, which occurs in late fall. Don’t wait until the ground has frozen, though, or it will be too hard to harvest any roots. Dig up a little bit of the roots of a small, but mature tree and use an ax or hatchet to remove a chunk of root. Don’t take too much from one tree or you risk damaging it. To make the tea, simply boil small chunks of the root, cleaned well of course, for about five or six minutes. The tea is ready when the water turns a nice shade of red. Make sure you strain it well, as swallowing bits of wood is not very pleasant.
- Bog Labrador Tea and New Jersey Tea. If you are in Canada, particularly in the east, look out for these native plants. Bog Labrador grows in bogs and is an evergreen with a strong fragrance. The New Jersey tea plant is found mostly in central Ontario in forests. The leaves of both make nice teas, and the Bog Labrador tea is good for digestion. Bog Labrador grows slowly, so you should only harvest as much as you can use at one time. There is also a possibility that it can cause paralysis in large quantities, so take it easy.
- Nettles. Stinging nettles make a very nutritious brew, but can be tough to harvest. They earn their description by being, quite literally, a pain. Use thick gloves when harvesting! The sting goes away after you dry the leaves or after you boil them if making fresh tea.
The next time you think about buying a prepackaged, blended herbal tea from the grocery store, think about using wild plants for teas instead. With a little knowledge and some practice, you can make tasty and nutritious herbal teas.
using wild plants for teas additional reading, check out Weeds: They’re What’s For Dinner!
©2018 Off the Grid News
The post Using Wild Plants For Teas: Brewing Your Own Backyard Herbal Medicines appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
NYC Adds Nearly 4,000 People Who Never Tested Positive To Coronavirus Death Tolls
New York City added nearly 4,000 people who never tested positive for the coronavirus to its death toll Tuesday, bringing coronavirus-related deaths in the city to around 10,000 people.
The city decided to add 3,700 people to its death tolls, who they “presumed” to have died from the virus, according to a report from The New York Times. The additions increased the death toll in the U.S. by 17%, according to the Times report, and included people who were suffering from symptoms of the virus, such as intense coughing and a fever.
The report stated that Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio decided over the weekend to change the way the city is counting deaths.
“In the heat of battle, our primary focus has been on saving lives,” de Blasio press secretary Freddi Goldstein told the Times.“As soon as the issue was raised, the mayor immediately moved to release the data.”
The Ultimate Energizer Review – Does It Really Work?
If you’re looking for a review of the ultimate energizer guide then you have come to the right spot because in this exclusive article we’re going to blow the lid off the ultimate energizer once and for all and reveal weather it is the real deal or not.
This brings us to the review of the ultimate energizer guide. This is a program that provides users with classified information on how to build a free energy generator. But can the program really make you achieve this?
does it work? will it be worth your investment, time and energy? all these questions and more are what this review on the ultimate energizer program seeks to help you find answers to.
The ultimate energizer review – is it worth it?
About The Ultimate Energizer guide
The ultimate energizer is your ultimate guide to building your own alternative and portable energy source to power up any of your household appliances including refrigerators and aircon units. It is a very affordable way to having an emergency generator that can help you save more than 50% from your electricity bills without spending too much on other alternative energy source like solar panels or wind turbines which is costly and will also need a lot of space.
The ultimate energizer causes you to be calm about the electricity bill. This well ordered guide shows you how to manufacture this claim “home energy gadget” today impeccably. This will dispose of your energy charge ensured.
It is lost to the earth which means we need to really take care of it in order to reduce the cost of energy bills which introduces the ultimate energizer guide.
About The Ultimate Energizer Creator
The creator of the complete the ultimate energizer guide is steven perkins. He found the journal of the founder of this technology in his home when his father shifted near quebec city in canada.
In this post, we will review the ultimate energizer whose creator claimed to offer a way through which you can generate non-stop current. According to the author, you can drop down your electricity bills by 80%.
Of course the ultimate energizer owners provide resources. But the truth is that you are a master creator. All of them have that talent in us. The only difference is the extent to which it is hidden in each of us.
Features of The Ultimate Energizer
The features of the ultimate energizer guide are as follows:-. This program guide will help you to design a the ultimate energizer generator which will follow the rules of linear induction motor which is built around a track that is orbicular to maintain the smooth motion of rotors that are transportable.
You can find here, a extensive review which highlights all the important features and performance criteria of the ultimate energizer. Use of the the ultimate energizer is very easy since all of the functions can be accessed in a short time; you have complete control over it. 100% money back guarantee shows that the ultimate energizer really works. The ultimate energizer gives full customer support for 7/24/365, also, features, credibility and the ultimate energizer’s ease of use are favorably satisfied by the buyers.
Use it on any electrical appliances from small clocks to big plasma tv screens, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Power the cabins while hiking to the mountains or camping. Other essential features of this complete the ultimate energizer are that it is easy to assemble and does not require a technical background to master engineering.
Pros and Cons of The Ultimate Energizer
I’ve created this honest ultimate energizer review to help you make a well-informed decision. I’ve tested it myself and now i’m going to share with you all the key aspects you may be interested in: how does it work? is it really so powerful and effective? what are its pros and cons?.
It is non-polluting. It remains popular the ultimate energizer guide pros & cons because it is both a renewable and clean source of energy. Harnessing solar energy is more than a fine idea it’s currently a reality in thousands of homes in a lot of nations around the world.
On the review of the ultimate energizer guide, we will be looking into what exactly the program is all about, the details of the energy generator program, the benefits, pros & cons and our conclusion on the program.
Does The Ultimate Energizer really work?
The device is usable during emergencies. It works without fuels and therefore there are no expected fumes. It is weather proof. Cons of the ultimate energizer. You can only download the program from the official website.
But the ultimate energizer reviews that are available from real users online on platforms like google and youtube seem to confirm that the device does indeed work. So, as per my ultimate energizer review answer to the question is the ultimate energizer legit? is definitely yes.
The ultimate energizer guide. The ultimate energizer is said to work for your home and cut electricity by 82%, guaranteed by tomorrow. The ultimate energizer reviews. It can boost any type of electricity by as much as 5 times.
Advantages of The Ultimate Energizer Program
The program can benefit you in many ways. Below we are listing the advantages of using the ultimate energizer program for generating electricity:. This device will help you save up to 60%-70%, without investing money in solar panels which can cost you a lot of money.
There are additional the ultimate energizer guide program advantages too, including advantages at tax time, so do your homework on what you might have for being a solar power pioneer contributed back.
Why The Ultimate Energizer is Useful?
The ultimate energizer is a complete guide and blueprint. With it, you get everything you need to know to build your own free energy generator. This generator can be completed for less than $50 if you have some tools already. But i remember reading another review of the ultimate energizer, and the guy said he took days. Maybe he was crafty. Then, you assemble it and get it to work.
You will be guided step by step, that anybody who can read can build it. You do not need prior building experience or massive strength; it is that easy. Building the ultimate energizer takes under 4 hours if you are slow and definitely a lot less when you have help.
The ultimate energizer has already changed the lives of over 30,000 families who chose to power their homes using this eco-friendly device. This is definitely a good investment that is worth your time and money and if you think it isn’t after trying it out, you can request for a refund.
Is The Ultimate Energizer a Scam?
The ultimate energizer guide really show you how to power your house and save tremendously, or is this just another overhyped scam? this system was created after its owner decided he wanted to have a home power generating system in case of any crises or disasters.
The ultimate energizer pdf. It does not need any conventional electric power. The ultimate energizer scam. In this program, you can also build more generator and sell for profit. This product can also be incorporated into the automobile to power an electric motor.
All you need is an open mind and a desire to try new things to get a life in the field of freedom of energy. So, what are you waiting for? it’s time to say goodbye to major energy companies and start using the ultimate energizer guide today.
Watch this video demonstration of the ultimate energizer guide put into action
Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!
Get Two Pocket Air Pros Worth $99.00 FREE With Your Purchase Of A Pocket Power
Even Better: We’ve also lowered the price of the Pocket Power X. Great Gear, Great Price.
Offer ends on Monday at midnight!
The post <span style="color:#ff0000">Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!</span> appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- Uncategorized4 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- DIY4 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY6 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love
- DIY5 years ago
Pillow Floor Lounger
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill