Every survivalist needs a bug out bag list to stay prepared for any SHTF scenario. While Adam Sandler's Jill believes “It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it”, that is not the case in a bug out bag. You only take what you absolutely need for survival. So what exactly should you include in a bag out bag list of supplies? Read on to know!
What Should Be On Your Bug Out Bag List?
Bug Out Bag Essentials
Building your own customized bug out bag is not so hard or complicated. You only have to make sure your bug out bag list includes items to address the following needs:
- Hydration or water
- Food and food preparation
- Shelter and keeping dry
- Clothing and bedding
- Heat source
- First aid
- Travel Aids
How Heavy Is Too Heavy For My Bug Out Bag?
Identifying what you need to include in a bug out bag can be a serious case of wants versus needs. You never really know what you'll need later. Still, you cannot bring so much along. Try these tips to see if there is a way to pack one or two items you want.
- You are able to carry your Bug Out Bag comfortably. – A heavy B.O.B will get you in this scenario – if you have to walk far to safety, you will either stay where you are or leave the bag, and you don't want that. Get it?
- Keep it Lean And Mean. – You just can't have everything in a survival situation. You might think you need a coffeemaker but you can make coffee without it. Keep it simple to cover basic needs.
- Pack items to help you become self-sufficient. – Think about a Swiss Army knife. Instead of bringing a can opener, a pair of scissors, and a knife, take a Swiss army knife which has all those and more.
- Plan your B.O.B for a given period. – 72 hours is about the right time since a person will only survive for that long without water.
- Take to mind you're in it to survive. – Forget about your electric toothbrush or your hairbrush. Only Mc Gyver can find survival uses for them.
I will share with you some examples of lists you can use as your own BOB guide. But first, let's answer the common questions about the 2 types of bug out bags:
Are 72-hour emergency kit and a bug out bag the same thing?
Yes and no.
A 72-hour emergency kit is a “type” of bug out bag. It serves the same purpose–to let you get by for 72 hours. Survivalists pick the 3-day window since rescue is common on the third day.
— Survival Life (@SurvivalLF) April 4, 2016
The much larger bug out bag is called Sustainability Kit — a bag constructed to get you through a much longer survival scenario. So this bag will be packed with survival items to help you last for more than 72 hours.
Here's a bug out bag list for both types of bags:
72-Hour Emergency Kit
EVERY family member should have two identical kits each: one set of 72-hour emergency kits in your home ready to grab at a second's notice. The second set of 72-hour emergency kit is for the trunk of your vehicle. It may sound a little too much to have two kits ready to go for each person. But when disaster strikes, you and each of your family members need to have a ready safety net in place. Whether you’re in your vehicle or in your home, your emergency kits will be there. It will be a relief to each of you to have those much-needed emergency supplies.
The following infographic is a great guide to follow for each 72-hour emergency kit.
Note: Some of the items on this list can be shared among family members. You can save a little money and space by sharing items like a can opener, for example. Also, blankets and extra pairs of shoes are a great addition to your bug out bag list. Finally, any prescribed medications should be added to the first aid kits.
The Perfect 72-Hour Bug Out Bag List for Your Little Ones
Your Sustainability Kit – The Ultimate Bug Out Bag List
A sustainability kit is different from the 72-hour emergency kit. It’s not only designed to survive for three days. It's packed to help you last for up to three months.
Your pack should be made from a super sturdy material. Super lightweight fabrics and plastics are a no-no. They will only get in your way.
Drago Gear Tracker Backpack
A Drago Gear Tracker Backpack (as shown above) is a great choice for a sustainability kit. It’s durable and lightweight and has tons of space. Some of the features include:
- Dimensions: 18″ x 11″ x 11″
- Made of 600 Denier
- Ideal balance between capacity and transportability
- The compact pack provides an ideal blend of capacity and transportability with a compact design and 4 main storage areas
- Premium back-relief panel design for maximum comfort during extended use
- An internal organization system for securing tools and other items
- Hydration-pack compatible
- Made of 600D Polyester
Purchase the Drago Gear Tracker Backpack on Amazon.
Since your sustainability kit is for a much longer term survival situation, really consider and weigh all your options for its contents. Here's a bug out bag list for you to use as a guide but, again, you can adjust the bug out bag list to fit your specific needs – prescription medications, any personal items, etc.
Now, because fully stocked sustainability kits can be expensive, I would suggest just having one per family member to keep inside your home.
The Best Sustainability Kit Checklist
This bug out bag list infographic will cover all the information you’ll need for the perfect sustainability kit experience!
Planning your bug out bag list is fun, but it's also a serious business you shouldn't take lightly. When worse comes to worst, you'll thank the heavens for taking it seriously. Make an inventory of your bag out bag list now!
Did we miss anything? Share your own bug out bag tips in the comments below!
Need to stock up? The Survival Life Store has got all the essential all the Pillars of Survival covered:
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on April 4, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
FREE Ebook! "The Secrets To Living Off The Grid"...
Simply enter your best email in the form and click the download now button. Then make sure to confirm your email to get access and never miss our exclusive updates.