But the sooner you learn to adapt to an A.C.-less heat wave, the better off for your household. Not only could you sizably reduce your power usage, it also would prepare you for cases of power outage or an all-out grid-down emergency. It’s good to be prepared.
Of course, you may be living in a scenario where you already don’t have A.C. Whatever the case, here are 12 tips:
1. Get an early start. If possible, be a morning person. If you woke up at 5 a.m., you’d have accomplished a lot by the time it gets hotter in the day. You’d do as well to prioritize the chores that involve the most heat. Whether it be working in the garden or cooking and ironing clothes inside, it’s best to be rid of those heat-generating activities by mid-morning. Of course, you could choose to do them at sundown, but you won’t have the benefits of natural light.
2. Keep windows on the warm side of the house shut. And those on the coolest side open, especially at night. Those that get direct sun during the day can be lined with solar screens or plain old aluminum foil, which reflects heat back into the atmosphere. It’s the same principle used in sun shades for windshields of parked cars.
3. Choose cotton. This goes not just for clothing but also beddings and curtains. Cotton is light and breathable unlike silk, satin, polyester and most synthetic fabrics. Use multiple layers of cotton for curtains, if you must, depending on the gravity of the heat outside. If you’d prefer blinds, consider using Roman-style shades, which are made of cotton canvas. They’re thick enough to block heat and sunlight, but permeable enough for air to pass. Wear loose, light-colored long-sleeved shirts when venturing outside, and wear a hat with a large brim. Opt for cotton gloves when working in the garden.
4. Cool down with a cold compress. The pulse points of the body are the ones that heat up most quickly. These are the neck, wrists, the insides of elbows and knees, the groin and inner thighs, the tops of your feet, the temples, and the insides of your ankles. (1) Drape a cool washcloth over these areas when you feel the need. Keeping rolls of these baby towels in your freezer might come in handy; just grab one as needed, moisten with water, and it’s ready for use.
Image source: Pixabay.com
5. Be a fan of fans. Improve the air circulation in your home with fans and vents. There are different kinds of apparatus that you can use and install around your home to either blow away warm air or suck it out of your whole house: box fans, desk fans, stand fans, ceiling fans, window fans, whole house fans partnered with vents, and whirlybirds. When it gets hotter inside the house than out, set a box fan by the door or window facing out — so the hot air is sucked out of the room. You also can set ceiling fans to run counter-clockwise so the blades pull the hot air up and then out, instead of just swirling it around and around the room.
If you have a basement, then keep its door open and position the fan there so it pulls up the cool air from underground. Or if there’s some crawl space under your house, install floor vents to draw the cooler air from that level up into the main level.
6. Make your own evaporative cooler. Set a large bowl or pan filled with ice or ice packs in front of any fan, or place jumbo-sized sponges in it, soaked in cold water. Alternatively, you can hang a wet towel in front of the fan. There are lots of cheap, ingenious ways to make DIY coolers online, using just a regular fan and easily available materials. Choose one that suits your fancy.
Story continues below video
7. Shade the openings of your house. If you don’t have awnings or trees lining your house, try hanging baskets of cascading plants and flowers along the eaves and porch roof. Or mount pergolas or trellises above windows and glass doors, covered in fast-growing vines. They won’t just cool and beautify your home; they’ll also bring extra privacy and the sweet scent of summer.
8. Bring in some of your potted ornamentals, too. Plants help a room cool through transpiration, a process by which moisture is released and evaporated from the leaves, stems and flowers. This evaporation involves energy, which they get by pulling heat from the surrounding area. (2)
9. Try to do as much of your cooking outdoors. Barbecue on the grill, bake pizza in a solar or cob oven, or bring out the crockpot and plug it in the garage. If you must cook inside, use your toaster or microwave, as these don’t heat up the kitchen as much as a regular oven would.
10. Opt for cool meals. Salads, sandwiches, lettuce wraps, cold pasta, hummus, sushi or cold, leftover meat wrapped in taco or pita. Easy, no-cook or quick-cooking lunch meals don’t have to remain noontime affairs. Have lots of juicy, refreshing fruits peeled, cut and stored in the fridge for ready snacking in between meals.
11. Sleep in the living room or any part of the house that’s roomier, more ventilated, and closer to the ground. Hot air rises, so the lower you go, the cooler it gets. This even would mean laying your mattress on the floor. Or, you may want to make your basement habitable; you never know when you’re going to be desperate enough to sleep in it! Also, consider having your porch screened so you can spend the night there, al fresco.
12. If all else fails, sleep like the Egyptians. Before bed, soak your top sheet or a thin blanket in water, wringing out the excess. Strange as it may seem, it’s a life-hack the ancient Egyptians used, and it works. Alternatively, you could wear damp socks with you to bed. Keep a spray bottle handy, too, in case you find the need to re-moisten them in the middle of the night.
What advice would you add? Share your tips in the section below:
- Gordon, Whitson. Know Your Body’s Quick-cooling Spots. com, June 25, 2010. https://lifehacker.com/5571072/know-your-bodys-cooling-spots
- Venolia, Carol. Plant Your Way to Energy Savings: Landscaping for Energy Efficiency. Mother Earth Living, January/February 2011. http://www.motherearthliving.com/energy-efficiency/plant-your-way-to-energy-savings-landscaping-energy-efficiency?pageid=1#PageContent1
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
NYC Adds Nearly 4,000 People Who Never Tested Positive To Coronavirus Death Tolls
New York City added nearly 4,000 people who never tested positive for the coronavirus to its death toll Tuesday, bringing coronavirus-related deaths in the city to around 10,000 people.
The city decided to add 3,700 people to its death tolls, who they “presumed” to have died from the virus, according to a report from The New York Times. The additions increased the death toll in the U.S. by 17%, according to the Times report, and included people who were suffering from symptoms of the virus, such as intense coughing and a fever.
The report stated that Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio decided over the weekend to change the way the city is counting deaths.
“In the heat of battle, our primary focus has been on saving lives,” de Blasio press secretary Freddi Goldstein told the Times.“As soon as the issue was raised, the mayor immediately moved to release the data.”
The Ultimate Energizer Review – Does It Really Work?
If you’re looking for a review of the ultimate energizer guide then you have come to the right spot because in this exclusive article we’re going to blow the lid off the ultimate energizer once and for all and reveal weather it is the real deal or not.
This brings us to the review of the ultimate energizer guide. This is a program that provides users with classified information on how to build a free energy generator. But can the program really make you achieve this?
does it work? will it be worth your investment, time and energy? all these questions and more are what this review on the ultimate energizer program seeks to help you find answers to.
The ultimate energizer review – is it worth it?
About The Ultimate Energizer guide
The ultimate energizer is your ultimate guide to building your own alternative and portable energy source to power up any of your household appliances including refrigerators and aircon units. It is a very affordable way to having an emergency generator that can help you save more than 50% from your electricity bills without spending too much on other alternative energy source like solar panels or wind turbines which is costly and will also need a lot of space.
The ultimate energizer causes you to be calm about the electricity bill. This well ordered guide shows you how to manufacture this claim “home energy gadget” today impeccably. This will dispose of your energy charge ensured.
It is lost to the earth which means we need to really take care of it in order to reduce the cost of energy bills which introduces the ultimate energizer guide.
About The Ultimate Energizer Creator
The creator of the complete the ultimate energizer guide is steven perkins. He found the journal of the founder of this technology in his home when his father shifted near quebec city in canada.
In this post, we will review the ultimate energizer whose creator claimed to offer a way through which you can generate non-stop current. According to the author, you can drop down your electricity bills by 80%.
Of course the ultimate energizer owners provide resources. But the truth is that you are a master creator. All of them have that talent in us. The only difference is the extent to which it is hidden in each of us.
Features of The Ultimate Energizer
The features of the ultimate energizer guide are as follows:-. This program guide will help you to design a the ultimate energizer generator which will follow the rules of linear induction motor which is built around a track that is orbicular to maintain the smooth motion of rotors that are transportable.
You can find here, a extensive review which highlights all the important features and performance criteria of the ultimate energizer. Use of the the ultimate energizer is very easy since all of the functions can be accessed in a short time; you have complete control over it. 100% money back guarantee shows that the ultimate energizer really works. The ultimate energizer gives full customer support for 7/24/365, also, features, credibility and the ultimate energizer’s ease of use are favorably satisfied by the buyers.
Use it on any electrical appliances from small clocks to big plasma tv screens, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Power the cabins while hiking to the mountains or camping. Other essential features of this complete the ultimate energizer are that it is easy to assemble and does not require a technical background to master engineering.
Pros and Cons of The Ultimate Energizer
I’ve created this honest ultimate energizer review to help you make a well-informed decision. I’ve tested it myself and now i’m going to share with you all the key aspects you may be interested in: how does it work? is it really so powerful and effective? what are its pros and cons?.
It is non-polluting. It remains popular the ultimate energizer guide pros & cons because it is both a renewable and clean source of energy. Harnessing solar energy is more than a fine idea it’s currently a reality in thousands of homes in a lot of nations around the world.
On the review of the ultimate energizer guide, we will be looking into what exactly the program is all about, the details of the energy generator program, the benefits, pros & cons and our conclusion on the program.
Does The Ultimate Energizer really work?
The device is usable during emergencies. It works without fuels and therefore there are no expected fumes. It is weather proof. Cons of the ultimate energizer. You can only download the program from the official website.
But the ultimate energizer reviews that are available from real users online on platforms like google and youtube seem to confirm that the device does indeed work. So, as per my ultimate energizer review answer to the question is the ultimate energizer legit? is definitely yes.
The ultimate energizer guide. The ultimate energizer is said to work for your home and cut electricity by 82%, guaranteed by tomorrow. The ultimate energizer reviews. It can boost any type of electricity by as much as 5 times.
Advantages of The Ultimate Energizer Program
The program can benefit you in many ways. Below we are listing the advantages of using the ultimate energizer program for generating electricity:. This device will help you save up to 60%-70%, without investing money in solar panels which can cost you a lot of money.
There are additional the ultimate energizer guide program advantages too, including advantages at tax time, so do your homework on what you might have for being a solar power pioneer contributed back.
Why The Ultimate Energizer is Useful?
The ultimate energizer is a complete guide and blueprint. With it, you get everything you need to know to build your own free energy generator. This generator can be completed for less than $50 if you have some tools already. But i remember reading another review of the ultimate energizer, and the guy said he took days. Maybe he was crafty. Then, you assemble it and get it to work.
You will be guided step by step, that anybody who can read can build it. You do not need prior building experience or massive strength; it is that easy. Building the ultimate energizer takes under 4 hours if you are slow and definitely a lot less when you have help.
The ultimate energizer has already changed the lives of over 30,000 families who chose to power their homes using this eco-friendly device. This is definitely a good investment that is worth your time and money and if you think it isn’t after trying it out, you can request for a refund.
Is The Ultimate Energizer a Scam?
The ultimate energizer guide really show you how to power your house and save tremendously, or is this just another overhyped scam? this system was created after its owner decided he wanted to have a home power generating system in case of any crises or disasters.
The ultimate energizer pdf. It does not need any conventional electric power. The ultimate energizer scam. In this program, you can also build more generator and sell for profit. This product can also be incorporated into the automobile to power an electric motor.
All you need is an open mind and a desire to try new things to get a life in the field of freedom of energy. So, what are you waiting for? it’s time to say goodbye to major energy companies and start using the ultimate energizer guide today.
Watch this video demonstration of the ultimate energizer guide put into action
Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!
Get Two Pocket Air Pros Worth $99.00 FREE With Your Purchase Of A Pocket Power
Even Better: We’ve also lowered the price of the Pocket Power X. Great Gear, Great Price.
Offer ends on Monday at midnight!
The post <span style="color:#ff0000">Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!</span> appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- Uncategorized4 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- DIY4 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY6 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love
- DIY5 years ago
Pillow Floor Lounger
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill