You are what you eat! At least that’s how the saying goes but there seems to be much truth behind it. There are so many superfoods out there that are delicious and packed full of healthy goodness. Why else would they be called superfoods? The one we will talk about today? Avocados!
Superfood Series: Avocados
This series will cover one superfood a week. I will cover the health benefits that make each one a superfood, as well as, leaving a few recipes that include the weekly ingredient. This week we will discuss the Avocado.
The Health Benefits of Avocados
Avocados are kind of high in calories but they are a great source of protein and healthy fats.
- Increase blood flow
- The phytochemicals present provide cancer prevention
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of hypertension
- Increases cognitive function
- Reduces bad cholesterol levels
- Provides healthy monounsaturated fats
- Has the ability to stabilize blood sugar levels
- Improves eyesight
- Great for babies in the womb
Now that you know what this superfood is good for let’s look at some different ways to use avocados. We will start with one of my favorite recipes, Guacamole.
Makes 4 servings & takes 7 minutes to make. The following ingredients you need are:
- 2 Large Hass avocados
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped cilantro ~ chopped finely
- 2 Teaspoons of lemon-lime juice
- ½ Jalapeno pepper including seeds ~ chop finely
- ¼ Cup red onions
- ¼ Teaspoon sea salt
- Once the avocados are peeled and pitted toss them in a bowl with the lemon-lime juice. Mash these two ingredients, add the salt and continue mashing until the avocados are smooth.
- Stir in the jalapenos, onion, and cilantro.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Refrigerate in a glass bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap but be sure the plastic wrap is directly on the guacamole. If any air gets to it it will turn brown.
- Chill and enjoy.
The next six recipes are not my own but they are delicious.
Black Bean Avocado Quesadilla
This black bean avocado quesadilla recipe is delicious. It is filled with avocado slices, cheese, sauteed onions and peppers, and black beans. This crispy vegetarian quesadilla is amazing!
These crispy baked avocado fries are scrumptious and a little hard to stop eating. Warning, these tasty treats can be addictive.
Zucchini Pasta With Avocado Pesto Sauce
This low carb, gluten-free, vegan meal is incredible. The creamy avocado pesto sauce over zucchini pasta makes a great meal or side dish for a summer picnic.
This simple, 3 ingredient recipe is easy and quick to make. All you need is milk, frozen banana cubes, and avocado. It’s a great boost to get you going in the morning.
Strawberry Avocado and Spinach Salad
This refreshing salad is perfect for those hot summer afternoons. The combination of strawberry and avocado tastes so incredibly good.
Blueberry Avocado Muffins
These tasty muffins make an awesome breakfast or snack The blueberry avocado muffin has reduced calories and fat but replaces them with good fats. It may not be your ordinary muffin but it just becomes your new favorite.
Reactions shows us a video on why avocados are so awesome:
Did you find this list helpful and interesting? Let us know in the comments below.
Want to learn how you can grow your food in your own backyard? Check out helpful tips on how to grow all the food you need in your backyard and start growing your own food today!
This Article Was Found On pioneersettler.com Read the Original Article