I grew up at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. Winter weather could be kind of crazy there, as storms could pop over the mountains, with hardly more than a moment’s notice. This happened so often that we’d say, “If you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes, and it will change.”
That actually gave me my first taste of a true winter survival situation. With furious winter storms popping up at a moment’s notice, people can easily find themselves in deep snow and far from home, even though it had been clear and sunny when they left their house just a short while earlier. I know, because I was one of those who got caught.
If there was ever a survival situation that requires preparation, it’s dealing with a sudden winter storm. Temperatures can drop extremely quickly, roads can become blocked and you can find yourself suddenly off the road in a snow bank. If that happens at night on a little used stretch of country road, you might end up being there for a while, before anyone finds you. Take out phone service at the same time, and you’re in an even bigger mess.
There’s two parts to preparing for such a winter survival situation. The first part is preparing the car itself. Winter weather is hard on cars, and you want to make sure that your car is going to keep running. The second part is preparing the necessary survival supplies so that you can survive while you’re awaiting rescue.
Prepare the Car for Winter Survival
You’re much more likely to have a problem with your car in the winter, especially if you haven’t prepared it. While there are not all that many things to prepare, you want to make sure you do them all.
- Check your battery. Every year, car battery sales go up just after the first real freeze or heavy snowfall. That’s because cold weather is hard on lead-acid batteries. If your battery is old, you might want to consider changing it before winter hits. At a minimum, have it checked to ensure that it will still hold a good charge.
- Check your antifreeze. If the water in your cooling system freezes, you’re stuck; there’s no two ways about it. You might be able to leave home or the office, but you’ll probably lose all your coolant and have your car overheat. Make sure you have adequate antifreeze to keep the water from freezing. Ideally, you want a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water.
- Check your tires. Good tires will help you to make it through the snow. If your tire tread is starting to look a little light, it’s time to replace them, especially on the drive wheels. If your old tires can still be used, but don’t have enough tread for the snow, save them and put them back on when summer rolls around again.
- Studs and chains. Studded tires or chains will help a car make it through the snow, but they’re not legal in all states. Check first; if it’s legal, you might want to invest in a good set of chains.
- Most cars nowadays are front-wheel drive. That puts the weight of the engine over the drive wheels, which is great for helping you get traction. But if you have a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, you probably need more weight over the drive wheels. Throw a couple of bags of sand into the back of your truck or trunk of your car to give it more weight.
- Check your wiper blades. Worn wipers won’t get the snow off your windshield as well as new ones do. If you live someplace that gets a lot of snow, you might want to invest a few extra bucks for the heavy-duty ones; they’ll work better and last longer.
- Keep the gas tank full. A full gas tank will add more weight over the rear wheels, as well. In addition, if you’re stuck somewhere, it will allow you to run the engine periodically and keep the inside of the car relatively warm.
- Grab a shovel. A small shovel or folding shovel will help you dig your way out, if you happen to get caught in the snow.
Preparing a Winter Survival Kit
Now that your car is ready to survive the cold and help you survive it as well, there are a few other winter survival supplies that you should pack along to make your life a little easier, while you’re waiting to be rescued.
A great way to do this is to use a military-style ammo can for your car survival kit. You can make a multi-wick candle in the bottom of the ammo can and then put your other survival supplies on top of it. That way, it’s all together in a waterproof container. Your kit will need:
- While candles won’t make the inside of that car toasty warm, they can keep it from getting down below freezing. Either make one big candle in the bottom of that ammo can or put some nice big candles in your kit. Look for candles which will burn for a
long time, as well as ones that have thick wicks. Thick wicks produce a bigger flame, supplying more heat.
- You’ll need some way of lighting those candles on fire, so put in some strike-anywhere matches in a waterproof container. The best matches are “storm proof matches.” Don’t bring a butane lighter, as they don’t work in the cold.
- Space blankets. You’ll want several space blankets, enough that you can coat the inside of the passenger compartment of your vehicle, making a cozy cocoon for you. If you are traveling by yourself or with one other person, you can enclose just the front seating area, making a wall behind the seat from a space blanket. A smaller area will be easier to keep warm.
- Some high energy food bars. Your body is going to be burning a lot of calories, trying to stay warm. Make sure you have something that is high in carbohydrates, to give your body the energy it needs.
- While you might not be thinking about getting thirsty in the wintertime, it will happen. Your body needs water to survive, so make sure you’ve got a gallon of it.
- Small stove and pot. If you want to get fancy about this, pack along a small backpacking stove and a pot or canteen cup. That will allow you to make tea or coffee, a great way of helping you stay warm.
- Plastic bags. You don’t want to have to go outside of your car to go to the bathroom, so have some plastic bags to use as an emergency toilet. They can be tied shut and stored until you are rescued. You might want to add some toilet paper as well.
- A heavy blanket. Okay, this one won’t fit in your ammo can; but if you have room in the car, throw in a good blanket. A wool one is best, as it will maintain some of its insulating value even when wet.
- A flashlight. You should have this anyway, but in this case, it’s the best way to signal to someone on the outside that you’re alive in the car.
You don’t want to get out of the car for anything. Store your winter survival supplies inside the car, rather than in the trunk. It can snow hard enough at times that you could try going to the trunk, fall down, and not be able to find your way back to the car.
If you have enough gas, your engine will start and your tailpipe isn’t plugged with snow, you can use your car’s heater to help keep warm. But don’t run it continually, as you’ll probably run out of gas. Instead, run it 10 minutes and then shut it down for 15. In this way, the engine won’t get cold enough that you have trouble getting heat out of it. While this won’t keep the car totally warm, it will keep it warm enough for survival.
In a real pinch, you can burn the spare tire. While this requires getting out of the car, you have to trade off that risk with freezing to death. Don’t burn the tire in the car, but rather open a door on the downwind side and burn it there. You can make a heat reflector out of a space blanket to capture as much of that heat as possible.
Finally, always dress for colder weather than what you are expecting. If it is winter, take along a hat, gloves and a warm coat, even if the weather forecast says “sunny and warm.” You just might need that coat — and not having it could be catastrophic.
What are your winter car survival tips? Leave them in the section below:
The post Preparing You And Your Car For Roadside Winter Survival appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
NYC Adds Nearly 4,000 People Who Never Tested Positive To Coronavirus Death Tolls
New York City added nearly 4,000 people who never tested positive for the coronavirus to its death toll Tuesday, bringing coronavirus-related deaths in the city to around 10,000 people.
The city decided to add 3,700 people to its death tolls, who they “presumed” to have died from the virus, according to a report from The New York Times. The additions increased the death toll in the U.S. by 17%, according to the Times report, and included people who were suffering from symptoms of the virus, such as intense coughing and a fever.
The report stated that Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio decided over the weekend to change the way the city is counting deaths.
“In the heat of battle, our primary focus has been on saving lives,” de Blasio press secretary Freddi Goldstein told the Times.“As soon as the issue was raised, the mayor immediately moved to release the data.”
The Ultimate Energizer Review – Does It Really Work?
If you’re looking for a review of the ultimate energizer guide then you have come to the right spot because in this exclusive article we’re going to blow the lid off the ultimate energizer once and for all and reveal weather it is the real deal or not.
This brings us to the review of the ultimate energizer guide. This is a program that provides users with classified information on how to build a free energy generator. But can the program really make you achieve this?
does it work? will it be worth your investment, time and energy? all these questions and more are what this review on the ultimate energizer program seeks to help you find answers to.
The ultimate energizer review – is it worth it?
About The Ultimate Energizer guide
The ultimate energizer is your ultimate guide to building your own alternative and portable energy source to power up any of your household appliances including refrigerators and aircon units. It is a very affordable way to having an emergency generator that can help you save more than 50% from your electricity bills without spending too much on other alternative energy source like solar panels or wind turbines which is costly and will also need a lot of space.
The ultimate energizer causes you to be calm about the electricity bill. This well ordered guide shows you how to manufacture this claim “home energy gadget” today impeccably. This will dispose of your energy charge ensured.
It is lost to the earth which means we need to really take care of it in order to reduce the cost of energy bills which introduces the ultimate energizer guide.
About The Ultimate Energizer Creator
The creator of the complete the ultimate energizer guide is steven perkins. He found the journal of the founder of this technology in his home when his father shifted near quebec city in canada.
In this post, we will review the ultimate energizer whose creator claimed to offer a way through which you can generate non-stop current. According to the author, you can drop down your electricity bills by 80%.
Of course the ultimate energizer owners provide resources. But the truth is that you are a master creator. All of them have that talent in us. The only difference is the extent to which it is hidden in each of us.
Features of The Ultimate Energizer
The features of the ultimate energizer guide are as follows:-. This program guide will help you to design a the ultimate energizer generator which will follow the rules of linear induction motor which is built around a track that is orbicular to maintain the smooth motion of rotors that are transportable.
You can find here, a extensive review which highlights all the important features and performance criteria of the ultimate energizer. Use of the the ultimate energizer is very easy since all of the functions can be accessed in a short time; you have complete control over it. 100% money back guarantee shows that the ultimate energizer really works. The ultimate energizer gives full customer support for 7/24/365, also, features, credibility and the ultimate energizer’s ease of use are favorably satisfied by the buyers.
Use it on any electrical appliances from small clocks to big plasma tv screens, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Power the cabins while hiking to the mountains or camping. Other essential features of this complete the ultimate energizer are that it is easy to assemble and does not require a technical background to master engineering.
Pros and Cons of The Ultimate Energizer
I’ve created this honest ultimate energizer review to help you make a well-informed decision. I’ve tested it myself and now i’m going to share with you all the key aspects you may be interested in: how does it work? is it really so powerful and effective? what are its pros and cons?.
It is non-polluting. It remains popular the ultimate energizer guide pros & cons because it is both a renewable and clean source of energy. Harnessing solar energy is more than a fine idea it’s currently a reality in thousands of homes in a lot of nations around the world.
On the review of the ultimate energizer guide, we will be looking into what exactly the program is all about, the details of the energy generator program, the benefits, pros & cons and our conclusion on the program.
Does The Ultimate Energizer really work?
The device is usable during emergencies. It works without fuels and therefore there are no expected fumes. It is weather proof. Cons of the ultimate energizer. You can only download the program from the official website.
But the ultimate energizer reviews that are available from real users online on platforms like google and youtube seem to confirm that the device does indeed work. So, as per my ultimate energizer review answer to the question is the ultimate energizer legit? is definitely yes.
The ultimate energizer guide. The ultimate energizer is said to work for your home and cut electricity by 82%, guaranteed by tomorrow. The ultimate energizer reviews. It can boost any type of electricity by as much as 5 times.
Advantages of The Ultimate Energizer Program
The program can benefit you in many ways. Below we are listing the advantages of using the ultimate energizer program for generating electricity:. This device will help you save up to 60%-70%, without investing money in solar panels which can cost you a lot of money.
There are additional the ultimate energizer guide program advantages too, including advantages at tax time, so do your homework on what you might have for being a solar power pioneer contributed back.
Why The Ultimate Energizer is Useful?
The ultimate energizer is a complete guide and blueprint. With it, you get everything you need to know to build your own free energy generator. This generator can be completed for less than $50 if you have some tools already. But i remember reading another review of the ultimate energizer, and the guy said he took days. Maybe he was crafty. Then, you assemble it and get it to work.
You will be guided step by step, that anybody who can read can build it. You do not need prior building experience or massive strength; it is that easy. Building the ultimate energizer takes under 4 hours if you are slow and definitely a lot less when you have help.
The ultimate energizer has already changed the lives of over 30,000 families who chose to power their homes using this eco-friendly device. This is definitely a good investment that is worth your time and money and if you think it isn’t after trying it out, you can request for a refund.
Is The Ultimate Energizer a Scam?
The ultimate energizer guide really show you how to power your house and save tremendously, or is this just another overhyped scam? this system was created after its owner decided he wanted to have a home power generating system in case of any crises or disasters.
The ultimate energizer pdf. It does not need any conventional electric power. The ultimate energizer scam. In this program, you can also build more generator and sell for profit. This product can also be incorporated into the automobile to power an electric motor.
All you need is an open mind and a desire to try new things to get a life in the field of freedom of energy. So, what are you waiting for? it’s time to say goodbye to major energy companies and start using the ultimate energizer guide today.
Watch this video demonstration of the ultimate energizer guide put into action
Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!
Get Two Pocket Air Pros Worth $99.00 FREE With Your Purchase Of A Pocket Power
Even Better: We’ve also lowered the price of the Pocket Power X. Great Gear, Great Price.
Offer ends on Monday at midnight!
The post <span style="color:#ff0000">Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!</span> appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- DIY4 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
Pillow Floor Lounger
- Uncategorized4 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY6 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love
- DIY6 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove