image source: [armoryblog.com]
Who Else Wants to Make Their Own Ammo Can Speaker Box For Cheap?
And best of all… you probably have most the stuff sitting around your house.
You might have an old ammo can box laying around or you can easily get your hands on one from a army navy store. Here’s a cool DIY to turn an old .50 cal ammo can into a portable ammo can boom box.
Don’t have a .50 cal ammo can? You can get surplus .50 cal ammo cans online and at most surplus stores for cheap, the rest of the parts needed to complete the project shouldn’t be more than $50 or so.
Most of these materials can be purchased locally, but I chose to get some of the items online to cut down on costs.
The parts you will need:
1. One .50 caliber ammo box– http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=5984
2. Two 4″ speakers– http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL42BL-4-Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B000230LBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291250695&sr=8-2
3. 2 sets of speaker wires– these will come with your speakers typically
4. 12 volt amplifier–http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34406
5. 3.5mm panel mount plug– http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062450
6. 12 volt illuminated toggle switch– http:// http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=206249312
7. Computer power supply– a broken one is ok for this, as you will just be using the plug and cord.
8. Egg carton foam– I had this piece of foam from some type of packaging.
9. 1 3/4″ desk grommet– these can be found in the hardware store or office supply store.
10. 12 volt power supply– this is the kind of power supply that a laptop would use.
11. Two 4″ computer fan grates.
12. 3.5mm male audio to rca audio
13. 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male audio cable
14. cheap little tripod from the dollar store
15. various hardware.
You will look like a total Bad A$$ when you show up with this epic ammo speaker boom box and will blow everyone away with the sound quality. I am sure people will be begging you to make them one or asking you were they can buy it.
Check out the full step-by-step guide on how to build a DIY ammo speaker boom box here