Find out how hackers can turn even the best home security system against you with a cheap piece of hardware.
How Safe Is Your Security System Against Hackers?
The Unseen Danger of Home Security Systems
Can you trust the home security system you have? I recently switched security systems in my home.
I quickly switched back when I felt that the company that controlled my systems didn't have my best interest in mind. Little did I know it wasn't them I had to worry about!
I have what was supposed to be the cutting edge of security systems. I can control my alarm from my phone.
Also, I can turn lights on and off. I can even control my air-conditioned unit if I am feeling too lazy to get out of bed and change the temperature manually.
This high-tech security system should protect my home and my family. I should feel safe knowing that should anyone enter my home without my permission, both the police and I will be notified.
Does it make any sense to you that my entire security system can be compromised by a single $10 piece of equipment that can be bought on amazon.com?
Sale 4,135 Reviews Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera 2 Pack, Works with Alexa…
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately).
- 24/7 live video130º wide-angle view lets you look after your home in 1080p HD, day and night
- Alerts on your phoneGet an alert when Nest Cam detects activity. WeatherproofCamera, cable and adapter are all weatherproof
from $159.00 Buy Now Price incl. tax, excl. shipping
How Hackers Spy Using Home Security Systems
An article published on Forbes.com exposed a massive flaw in most major home security systems:
He was able to play around with an ADT system thanks to the graciousness of his girlfriend’s father, who had one at home. The different vendors’ products all had the same problem: legacy wireless communications from the 90s that failed to encrypt or authenticate signals.
He could be pick up the signals being sent from sensors on windows and doors to the main control system using a cheap SDR, meaning he could see transmissions from sensors—which are sent even when the system is unarmed—and track when people were opening and closing windows and doors.
With a more sophisticated SDR, he could interfere with transmissions, setting the alarm off falsely by telling it doors were opening when they weren’t or jamming the system so that it wouldn’t go off, even if doors did open. He could do this from 65 to 250 yards away—basically a house over.
Using his methods, a would-be tech-savvy thief could suppress an alarm while going in and out with your stuff; a prankster neighbor could set your alarm off; or someone could monitor when you’re active at the house. At the very least, someone with an SDR could determine based on signals being sent whether you actually have an alarm system, or have just planted a “Protected by ADT” sign in your front yard.
What is SDR? SDR stands for software-defined radio. It is a radio communication system wherein software takes over the tasks of the hardware.
- DON'T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: Whether the kids just came home from school or the dog has decided to eat those new pillows you just bought; the Nest Cam sees it all! Get alerts through your Nest App whenever the camera detects movement and activity. And the coolest part is that the Nest Cam can tell the difference between movement from say a hand getting into a cookie jar, and a person entering a room. Person Alerts and Activity Alerts can help keep your home safe even if you aren't there.
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Indoor has a built-in speaker and mic, so you can hear what's happening at home. Or tell the dog to get off the couch.
- SET IT UP ANYWHERE: The compact size of the Nest Cam makes installation a breeze. Nest Cam Indoor's stand works in all kinds of homes, on all types of surfaces. Set it down on something flat, like a table or shelf. The Nest Cam has a built-in magnet so you can stick it to something metallic. Use the removable wall plate to attach Nest Cam to a wall. Or you can unscrew the camera from the base and attach it to any standard tripod mount.
from $152.50 Buy Now Price incl. tax, excl. shipping
In this video, marketplace reveals how hacker uses technology to spy your home and family courtesy of CBC News:
How secure do you feel about your home security system now? Your guess is as good as mine.
Do you think we can still trust home security systems with cameras? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- DIY Home Security Tips
- How Secure Are Home Security Cameras?
- 20 Home Security and Crime Prevention Secrets
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on August 4, 2014, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here