Black mold is a serious problem that many homeowners face. It is toxic and grows on various damp surfaces.
Black Mold | 8 Ways Of Getting Rid Of A Health Risk
Signs of black mold in your home include:
- Moldy smell
- Damp basement
- Leaking roof or attic
- Water leaks
- Sight of mold
The microscopic spores of black mold can cause allergic reactions which can include a runny nose and sneezing.
Prolonged exposure to black mold can include the following:
- Fatigue and weakness
- Headache, light sensitivity
- Poor memory, difficult word finding
- Difficulty concentration
- Morning stiffness, joint pain
- Unusual skin sensations, tingling, and numbness
- Shortness of breath, sinus congestion or a chronic cough
- Appetite swings, body temperature regulation
- Increased urinary frequency or increased thirst
- Red eyes, blurred vision, sweats, mood swings, sharp pains
- Abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating
- Tearing, disorientation, metallic taste in mouth
- Static shocks
- Vertigo, feeling lightheaded
As you can see, exposure to it is a major health risk for the whole household and if you have it within your home it is crucial that you get rid of it as soon as possible!
In this article, I will share 8 ways to get rid of it quickly through the use of :
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Baking Soda
- Tea Tree Oil
1. Hydrogen Peroxide
Due to the antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties of hydrogen peroxide, it is one of the best ways to get rid of black mold. It kills black mold on many surfaces such as kitchen appliances, bathroom fixtures, floors, and walls.
- Pour 3 % hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle.
- Saturate the moldy surface and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Scrub the moldy areas to remove the stains.
- Wipe down the area to remove any and all residual mold.
Bleach will kill any household mold, including black mold on nonporous surfaces such as countertops, glass, and tile. It is important to note that bleach only kills the mold on the surface but it will help future mold from growing.
- Combine 1 cup of bleach and 1 gallon of water.
- Using a spray bottle, apply to the moldy surfaces.
- It is not necessary to wipe down surfaces afterward.
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda possesses so many qualities and no household should ever be without it! Did you know that baking can kill black mold? It also helps to keep black mold from returning by absorbing the moisture that caused it in the first place.
- Combine ¼ tablespoon of baking soda with 6-8 ounces of water.
- Add to spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray it with this mixture.
- Remove it with a sponge.
- Rinse the area with warm water to remove any black mold residue.
Once the area has been rinsed well, apply this mixture to keep black mold from returning.
Borax is another great way to get rid of black mold. Because borax is toxic, use with caution and keep out of reach from children and pets.
- Combine 1 cup of borax and 1 gallon of water.
- Using a spray bottle, spray this mixture on the mold.
- Scrub the affected area with a scrub brush.
- Wipe away the mold with a sponge.
- Rinsing the area is not needed.
Vinegar is great for removing black mold stains and the acidic properties of vinegar will kill about 80% of black mold.
- Pour white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Spray over the mold and leave for about an hour.
- Rinse the area with warm water and let dry.
Grapefruit seed extract is an effective solution for killing black mold.
- Combine 1 cup of water and 10 drops of grapeseed extract and add to a spray bottle.
- Spray the moldy area and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Wipe away the black mold.
- It is not necessary to rinse.
Ammonia is an excellent solution for killing black mold on nonporous surfaces such as bathroom sinks, kitchen counters, and shower doors.
- Combine equal parts ammonia and water.
- Using a spray bottle, spray on the moldy areas.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe the area with a sponge or a small scrub brush.
- Repeat this process if needed.
8. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil possesses antifungal properties, which makes it a great solution for getting rid of black mold.
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil.
- Add to spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray the moldy areas with this solution.
- Clean the areas with a sponge.
- Repeat if necessary.
Watch this video posted by How To Good Health on getting rid of black mold:
Have you used any of these methods to kill black mold in your home? Do have a method you would like to share? Share with us in the comment section below.
- Green Cleaning Tips To Prevent Mold In House
- Eliminate Musty Smell in Basement
- 7 DIY Natural Cleaning Products | Simple Home Solutions
The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.
This Article Was Found On pioneersettler.com Read the Original Article