For as long as people have been making films, the doomsday genre has captivated audiences all over the world. Today, the doomsday film genre remains as popular as ever – and there are plenty of exciting and entertaining survival and disaster movies available to stream on Netflix that are well worth checking out.
If you’re a fan of the genre, head over to Netflix and give one of these nine great doomsday movies a watch.
Automata deals with artificial intelligence and the end of the world as we know it. Rather than causing the apocalypse, though, the robots in automata are charged with helping humanity pick up the pieces and rebuild after society has collapsed.
What happens when these robot slaves learn to break through their chains and confront the remnants of humanity holding them captive? This question is the central plot of Automata. It’s a refreshing twist on the AI doomsday genre that offers fans of the genre something they haven’t seen before, earning it a well-deserved spot on our list.
2. Bird Box
When Netflix released the Netflix original, Bird Box, the film quickly took the internet by storm. Sandra Bullock’s starring role in the film certainly helped bolster its success, but it was ultimately the intriguing concept of Bird Box that captured the attention of audiences all over the world.
Bird Box is set in a world where unknown monsters have decimated Earth’s population. The catch is that no one knows what these monsters look like, since looking at them directly drives a person to insanity and suicide. This dilemma forces those who are left to take extreme precautions to prevent seeing one of the monsters, including wearing blindfolds everywhere they go.
The result of this concept is an eerie film that is just as much horror as it is dystopian science-fiction. Where Bird Box is at its finest, though, is when it explores the toll that the end of the world takes on a young mother and the extremes that she will go to in order to protect her children.
The story of alien invasion has been done so many times that it has become difficult for writers to come up with a new angle for this age-old plotline. Extinction, however, tackles the challenge brilliantly.
Another Netflix original, Extinction follows the story of a father who keeps having visions of Earth being invaded by aliens. When spaceships begin to appear in the night sky and open fire, he realizes that these visions were much more than a psychiatric problem.
Extinction puts a few unique twists on the alien invasion trope and combines these twists with impressive cinematography and special effects for a film that is well worth watching – even if you’ve seen movies like it a dozen times before.
IO is a Netflix original that follows a group of people who live on a small strip of land after most of Earth has become uninhabitable. The majority of humanity has already fled the planet on spaceships, leaving just one group of people behind who must decide if they want to stay on Earth or make an attempt to reach the final ship which is leaving the planet.
IO is a fast-paced, entertaining film that presents a number of interesting questions to the audience. If you are a fan of movies that focus on the aftermath of a major apocalypse, IO is well worth watching.
In Singularity, robotics company CEO Elias VanDorne has developed a supercomputer named Kronos that is designed to come up with a solution that will end all war on planet earth. Unfortunately for mankind, the only solution that Kronos is able to formulate is the extinction of humanity.
Singularity may not capture our fear of AI quite as well as The Terminator (see below), but the film is still an entertaining look at yet another way in which AI could go disastrously wrong.
6. The Terminator
Few film series have been as impactful as the Terminator series, as this series has almost singlehandedly stoked our healthy fear of artificial intelligence. The Terminator shows all too well how disastrous it could be if a super-powerful AI such as Skynet ever went rogue. Of course, the film is plenty entertaining as well and it is no-doubt Arnold Schwarzenegger’s most famous role.
7. Turbo Kid
Set in a post-apocalyptic 1997, Turbo Kid is a retro-futuristic film that serves as a nostalgic throwback to the action-adventure movies of the 80s.
Turbo Kid follows the adventures of an orphaned teenager as he navigates a post-apocalyptic world in order to save his robot companion who has been captured by an evil warlord. The film serves as an interesting and entertaining look at what might have happened if the world as we know it had ended several decades ago.
8. V for Vendetta
A dystopian classic, V for Vendetta features both the aftermath of a nuclear war and an oppressive, totalitarian government. The cinematography and acting in the film are both superb, and the story has enough turns to keep you guessing.
The biggest appeal of this movie is the parallels that can be drawn between the film and our real world. It’s largely thanks to this film that the Guy Fawkes mask has become a symbol of resistance to an oppressive government.
9. What Happened to Monday
What Happened to Monday is set in an overpopulated world where families are only allowed to have one child in order to combat Earth’s overpopulation problem. If that reminds you of a certain Asian country in our real world, then you can imagine how eerily realistic this plot is.
The film follows the story of identical septuplets who are attempting to avoid being executed by their oppressive government while looking into the disappearance of one of their siblings.
Know of any other doomsday movies that are streaming on Netflix right now? Leave a comment and tell us about it!
You May Also Like:
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
4 No Cook Meals For Surviving The Pandemic And Food Supply Shortages
When it comes to your food supply, you just can’t risk not having enough. These no cook meals will be a great addition to your food supply planning. Check out the recipes below!
No Cook Meals to Help You Through the Pandemic
As of the writing of this article, there are 20 meat processing plants that have been shut down due to COVID-19 infections. We have been worrying about these types of effects on our food supply for months now, and this is the first real sign of how infections can affect the food supply.
When you walk into a supermarket, you might not see all the choices you had in the past. An empty meat case is a humbling thing for your eyes to fall upon. It’s the shocking realization that the seemingly infinite supply of chickens, pigs, and cows that are butchered for us has begun to run dry!
To deal with this issue, we are going to present four no cook meals that will help you create dinners at home that will feed your family without worrying so much about what’s available, or unavailable, in the meat case.
1. Smashed White Bean, Avocado and Salted Pork Sandwiches
As preppers we get beans. There are a bunch of ways to use beans and this a great example of how you can pack a sandwich with great nutrition and protein.
Serving: Makes 4 sandwiches
- Can of White Beans
- Olive Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 8 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- 8 Slices of Salted Pork (Prosciutto, Ham, Virginia Ham)
- Begin by draining your beans in a colander then smashing them up in a bowl add a few glugs of olive oil, salt, pepper. This little mix is delicious. If you add some minced rosemary, you can even turn this into a delicious dip.
- Pit your avocado and cut it in half and then quarters lengthwise. Leave the skin on.
- Lay the bread out on a clean work surface for assembling the sandwiches.
- Spread your mashed bean mix onto one side of the bread.
- Peel your avocados and slice 1 quarter for each sandwich. Spread slices over the bean spread.
- Add a few slices of your pork to over the top of the avocado.
- You can finish this sandwich with some lettuces, fresh sprouts, or just eat it as is.
2. Delicious Crab Salad
Canned crab is a protein option that will likely be around through much of this meat crisis. It does have to be kept in refrigeration, but it’s delicious and this chipotle mayo salad is great in the spring and summer.
- 1 Can of Crab Meat
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- Drain your crab in a colander and set it in the sink.
- Slice your asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Throw them into a bowl.
- Thinly slice your onions and your cilantro and throw that into the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss in the crab meat.
- Squirt on enough Chipotle mayo to coat everything and toss gently not to break up the crab meat.
- Chill in the fridge and serve.
3. Simple Greek Salad
The combination of simple summer ingredients makes for an incredible quick salad that you could add other proteins, too, if you wanted. These could be canned meats.
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Red Onion
- ¼ Cup of Feta Cheese
- A Few Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- ½ Cup of Kalamata Olives
- Balsamic Dressing
- I like to cut the tomatoes in large chunks and have them kind of be the main course in this salad. Peel and slice your cucumber in half. Remove the seeds and either dice or slice in half-moons.
- Peel and slice your red onion in half. Julienne your, or thinly slice, your half onion.
- Add all these ingredients to a bowl. Finely slice your mint.
- Add your olives, crumbled feta, and mint to the bowl and add enough dressing to coat everything.
- Stir it up and allow this to chill for at least an hour for the flavors to really blend.
4. Mediterranean Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Using some similar ingredients and adding a protein like tuna, you can create some delicious lettuce wraps. The key to a good lettuce wrap is to have most of the items around the same size. So, consider that when you are preparing this dish.
- Iceberg or Butter Lettuce
- Canned Artichokes
- Canned roasted Red peppers
- Fresh Cucumber
- Feta Cheese
- Minced Olives ¼ Cup
- 2 Cans of Tuna
- Green Onions
- Start by peeling all the full leaves from your lettuce. Set them on a plate either cover them with a wet paper towel or put them back into the fridge.
- Dice the peppers, artichokes, and cucumbers into cubes. Go no larger than ½ an inch.
- Thinly slice your green onions and basil and add them to a bowl with your diced vegetables. Add your loves to this bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Crumble your feta cheese over the mixture.
- Drain your tuna thoroughly and then add that to the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss this mixture. Try not to break up the tuna and the cheese too much but incorporate it thoroughly.
- If you want, you can add some olive oil to the mix or a few glugs of balsamic vinegar. It’s also delicious just how it is.
- Scoop a few tablespoons into a lettuce leaf, wrap it up and eat up!
These no cook meals should help lessen the stress you feel when thinking of what to feed your family. If you don’t have the specific ingredients, use your creativity, and use what you have. You might discover a new recipe while you’re at it!
What’s your favorite no cook meal recipe? Please share it with us in the comments section!
- Essential Survival Fuel: No-Cook Overnight Oats
- Dehydrated Foods to Try This Weekend
- 13 Dried And Canned Foods With The Longest Shelf Lives
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
Billionaire Whistle Blower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
- Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000.
A Chinese billionaire and whistleblower who lives in U.S. exile says Wuhan crematoriums have burned 50,000 coronavirus victims. | Credit: Chinatopix via AP
- The official coronavirus death toll in China is a little over 800. But an exiled Chinese businessman says crematoriums are leaking the real figure.
- A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.
- Guo Wengui is a Chinese billionaire living in exile in the United States.
The official coronavirus death toll is some 800 people in China. The current official death toll worldwide, outside of China, is 774. But a Chinese billionaire with a history of blowing the whistle on his former government says the real figure is much higher.
Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000. Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Whistleblower: 1.5 Million Coronavirus Cases In China, 50,000 Coronavirus Deaths In Wuhan
He also claims to have inside information that there are 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases in China. Wengui is emphatic that these are not merely quarantined or “under observation” but confirmed cases of coronavirus infection:
China has struggled to contain the coronavirus. But it has also struggled to contain public outcry against censorship and tight control of information. Dr. Li Wenliang, who sounded the alarm about the disease, succumbed to an infection and died this week. The Chinese government arrested him for blowing the whistle.
Then officials tried to suppress news of his death. Afterwards, millions of Chinese citizens saw the hashtag #IWantFreedomOfSpeech on Mandarin language social media. But the Chinese government censored that too.
Are Wengui’s Crematorium Claims Credible?
Watch VICE’s 2017 profile on Guo Wengui. At the time, he published bombshell documents alleging corruption in the Chinese government. He got the attention of the media and reportedly the U.S. State Department.
5 Types Of Ammunition To Stockpile For A Collapse
Every prepper knows it’s a great idea to stockpile ammunition when preparing for a major disaster.
You can use it for hunting, self-defense, or barter.
But which types of ammo should you stockpile?
If you plan on bartering, then you don’t want a bunch of calibers that nobody wants. And that’s just one consideration.
In this video, Reality Survival & Prepping talks about what he thinks are the 5 best types of ammunition to stockpile for a collapse.
Here are his picks:
- .22 LR – Very common, good for hunting small game, very light and small.
- 9mm Luger – Great for self-defense, fits in a wide variety of handguns.
- 5.56×45mm or .223 Remington – Also very common, cheap and effective.
- .308 Winchester – Widely used, works in AR10 and bolt-action platforms.
- 12 Gauge – You can do a lot with it — hunt, defend yourself, etc.
In the video below he makes a much more detailed case for each caliber. What do you think of this list?
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- DIY3 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- Uncategorized3 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to make a Speaker Ammo Can Boom Box
- DIY5 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love