7 Best Plants for Home Security
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I'll earn a small fee at no extra cost to you.*
Plants for home security? Yes, you read that right. If you’re serious about home security, there are certain plants you’ll want to grow in your yard. Especially in front of your fences and windows.
Any serious prepper knows the importance of security and setting up a solid defense plan to resist the inevitable intruders when the grid goes down. But few of those preppers understand the critical role that plants and shrubbery can play in home defense.
Shrubs and plants have played a role in home and property defense for literally hundreds of years. People have used them to keep livestock contained, to keep predatory carnivorous animals out, for hedging purposes, or for defense against attacks from other people.
But of course, that was then. We live in an era where we can have barbed wire fences, electric fences, or other kinds of barriers to keep the bad guys out. So are plants still relevant for home security today?
I say yes. In fact, they are one of the most effective intruder deterrents you can have, and they don’t cost a thing. In this article, we’ll talk about which plants are best for home security, why they’re so effective, and some tips for planting them around your property.
Why You Need Thorny Plants For Home Security
Burglars often target average suburban homes, and for good reason. Most houses are poorly defended, easy to break into, and many of them are a goldmine for valuable items.
In a grid down scenario, people who are desperate for food and other supplies will be extra motivated to either quietly break into your home or launch an all-out attack, even if they know the house is occupied. This brings us to the two main reasons you need plants for home security.
1. They Deter Intruders
Now imagine that you’re one of these intruders and you have two houses you can attack. One is just a typical house surrounded by a green lawn. The other is the same, but it’s also surrounded by thorny brush and thickets. Which house would you attack first?
That’s exactly why you need to have security plants around your house. It makes it far less appealing to intruders. Thorny plants are a natural protective barrier that creates an immediate hostile environment for anyone thinking about launching an attack.
2. They Slow Down Intruders
A simple hedgerow of thorny thickets may not seem like much, but in reality, it can go a long way toward discouraging a raiding party. Chances, they’ll move on to the next house.
And even if they do attack your house, their progress would be significantly impeded which would give you extra time to either fight back or escape.
For these reasons, you should at least consider planting some thorny plants.
Tips For Setting Up Home Defense Plants
Simply planting some thorny plants will not be enough to prevent an attack on your house. There are some specific tips you must follow.
1. Get Plants That ARe Thick, Tall, and Wide
If an intruder can simply step over or through them, they aren’t going to do you any good. At the same time, you don’t want your plants to be too tall. After all, you still want to be able to see the street from your house. You’re building a barrier, not a wall.
2. Make Sure They’re In Front Of Weak Spots
You also want to be strategic about where you put your plants. For instance, if you have a fence that runs around your property, plant some thorny bushes in front of it or at least in the corners where someone is more likely to climb over.
Another place to plant thorny bushes is in front of your windows. If burglars can’t break through a window without getting torn up by one of your plants, they might not even bother.
You may want to take things a step further and create an entire perimeter around your property with a layer or two of home security plants. It’s going to require more yard work, but if you feel safer as a result, then it might be worth it.
The Best Home Security Plants
Here are some of the most effective plants for home security:
If you want a thorny plant that’s going to grow as quickly as possible, the Blackberry should be one of your top choices.
No, this is not one of the most attractive plants, but it can grow to be over five fight high in a short amount of time, and it’s packed with thorns and prickles that will tear up any attacking party.
The biggest downside to the Blackberry bush is that because it grows so quickly, you need to dedicate time to pruning and trimming it. As long as you’re willing to do that, it’s a good choice.
2. Century Plant
The Century Plant is, without question, one of the most beautiful yet unforgiving home security plants in existence.
With its light green leaves, the Century Plant is incredibly easy to grow, doing well even in hot and dry conditions. Maintenance is also relatively hassle free and it’s rare for it to suffer from any kind of disease.
It grows massive spikes next to its four foot long leaves, and those spikes can easily stab through skin with only a little bit of force.
The one downside to the Century Plant is its short lifespan of around one to two decades, but other than that, it’s definitely one of the best home defense plants available.
NOTE: The Century Plant is also known as the Sentry Plant.
3. Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia)
Here’s a plant where even its name is intimidating. This thorny plant is so named because it is believed to be the plant that was forcefully wrapped over the head of Jesus before his crucifixion two thousand years ago.
The plant is a five foot bush that produces beautiful red colored flowers in the summer, so it really adds to the look of your property. The thorns are only part of its defense mechanism. The sap that it produces is also highly irritating to the skin and can even cause serious sickness if orally ingested.
4. Porcupine Tomato (Solanum)
Also known as the Devil’s Thorn, the Porcupine Tomato (or Solanum) can also grow to be nearly five feet tall with massive spikes that are tough enough to rip through skin.
Like the Euphorbia, it also comes with a deadly sap that is heavily irritating to the skin and can cause severe sickness when ingested. This is another plant that’s really going to make burglars turn around and go elsewhere.
5. Firethorn (Pyracantha)
Armed with sharp barbed leaves and poisonous berries, the Pyracantha is one of the largest plants on this list. It can grow to an astonishing 20 feet in height.
Like the Blackberry bush, the Pyracantha grows and spreads easily, which is great if you need a home defense option quickly, but it also means you’ll have a lot of trimming to do.
The rose bush is well known for its thorny branches that also cause infection when they pierce the skin.
The rose plant is also very beautiful and can add value to your home and property. The gorgeous flowers it produces are among the most recognizable in the world.
If you happen to have a wife who loves roses, you’ll have no trouble talking her into this option.
7. Spanish Dagger (Yucca Gloriosa)
Last but not least, the Spanish Dagger is native to the southeastern United States, but it grows well in virtually any kind of warm environment.
They can grow to be over fifteen feet high and have long pointy leaves that act as an excellent deterrent against intruders. The Spanish Dagger is popular with homeowners who live in more tropical regions, not only because it grows naturally there, but also because it can add to the value of the property as well.
Having a hedgerow of any one of these plants around your property will serve two purposes:
- It will make an intruder think twice about following through with their plans.
- It has the ability to inflict grievous physical injuries and infections on them if they are stupid enough to proceed anyway.
If you’ve previously scoffed at the idea of defending your home and property with thorny plants, you would be wise to reconsider.
Want to prep but not sure where to begin? Sign Up for Our Newsletter and get your FREE One Year Urban Survival Plan!
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
4 No Cook Meals For Surviving The Pandemic And Food Supply Shortages
When it comes to your food supply, you just can’t risk not having enough. These no cook meals will be a great addition to your food supply planning. Check out the recipes below!
No Cook Meals to Help You Through the Pandemic
As of the writing of this article, there are 20 meat processing plants that have been shut down due to COVID-19 infections. We have been worrying about these types of effects on our food supply for months now, and this is the first real sign of how infections can affect the food supply.
When you walk into a supermarket, you might not see all the choices you had in the past. An empty meat case is a humbling thing for your eyes to fall upon. It’s the shocking realization that the seemingly infinite supply of chickens, pigs, and cows that are butchered for us has begun to run dry!
To deal with this issue, we are going to present four no cook meals that will help you create dinners at home that will feed your family without worrying so much about what’s available, or unavailable, in the meat case.
1. Smashed White Bean, Avocado and Salted Pork Sandwiches
As preppers we get beans. There are a bunch of ways to use beans and this a great example of how you can pack a sandwich with great nutrition and protein.
Serving: Makes 4 sandwiches
- Can of White Beans
- Olive Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 8 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- 8 Slices of Salted Pork (Prosciutto, Ham, Virginia Ham)
- Begin by draining your beans in a colander then smashing them up in a bowl add a few glugs of olive oil, salt, pepper. This little mix is delicious. If you add some minced rosemary, you can even turn this into a delicious dip.
- Pit your avocado and cut it in half and then quarters lengthwise. Leave the skin on.
- Lay the bread out on a clean work surface for assembling the sandwiches.
- Spread your mashed bean mix onto one side of the bread.
- Peel your avocados and slice 1 quarter for each sandwich. Spread slices over the bean spread.
- Add a few slices of your pork to over the top of the avocado.
- You can finish this sandwich with some lettuces, fresh sprouts, or just eat it as is.
2. Delicious Crab Salad
Canned crab is a protein option that will likely be around through much of this meat crisis. It does have to be kept in refrigeration, but it’s delicious and this chipotle mayo salad is great in the spring and summer.
- 1 Can of Crab Meat
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- Drain your crab in a colander and set it in the sink.
- Slice your asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Throw them into a bowl.
- Thinly slice your onions and your cilantro and throw that into the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss in the crab meat.
- Squirt on enough Chipotle mayo to coat everything and toss gently not to break up the crab meat.
- Chill in the fridge and serve.
3. Simple Greek Salad
The combination of simple summer ingredients makes for an incredible quick salad that you could add other proteins, too, if you wanted. These could be canned meats.
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Red Onion
- ¼ Cup of Feta Cheese
- A Few Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- ½ Cup of Kalamata Olives
- Balsamic Dressing
- I like to cut the tomatoes in large chunks and have them kind of be the main course in this salad. Peel and slice your cucumber in half. Remove the seeds and either dice or slice in half-moons.
- Peel and slice your red onion in half. Julienne your, or thinly slice, your half onion.
- Add all these ingredients to a bowl. Finely slice your mint.
- Add your olives, crumbled feta, and mint to the bowl and add enough dressing to coat everything.
- Stir it up and allow this to chill for at least an hour for the flavors to really blend.
4. Mediterranean Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Using some similar ingredients and adding a protein like tuna, you can create some delicious lettuce wraps. The key to a good lettuce wrap is to have most of the items around the same size. So, consider that when you are preparing this dish.
- Iceberg or Butter Lettuce
- Canned Artichokes
- Canned roasted Red peppers
- Fresh Cucumber
- Feta Cheese
- Minced Olives ¼ Cup
- 2 Cans of Tuna
- Green Onions
- Start by peeling all the full leaves from your lettuce. Set them on a plate either cover them with a wet paper towel or put them back into the fridge.
- Dice the peppers, artichokes, and cucumbers into cubes. Go no larger than ½ an inch.
- Thinly slice your green onions and basil and add them to a bowl with your diced vegetables. Add your loves to this bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Crumble your feta cheese over the mixture.
- Drain your tuna thoroughly and then add that to the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss this mixture. Try not to break up the tuna and the cheese too much but incorporate it thoroughly.
- If you want, you can add some olive oil to the mix or a few glugs of balsamic vinegar. It’s also delicious just how it is.
- Scoop a few tablespoons into a lettuce leaf, wrap it up and eat up!
These no cook meals should help lessen the stress you feel when thinking of what to feed your family. If you don’t have the specific ingredients, use your creativity, and use what you have. You might discover a new recipe while you’re at it!
What’s your favorite no cook meal recipe? Please share it with us in the comments section!
- Essential Survival Fuel: No-Cook Overnight Oats
- Dehydrated Foods to Try This Weekend
- 13 Dried And Canned Foods With The Longest Shelf Lives
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
Billionaire Whistle Blower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
- Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000.
A Chinese billionaire and whistleblower who lives in U.S. exile says Wuhan crematoriums have burned 50,000 coronavirus victims. | Credit: Chinatopix via AP
- The official coronavirus death toll in China is a little over 800. But an exiled Chinese businessman says crematoriums are leaking the real figure.
- A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.
- Guo Wengui is a Chinese billionaire living in exile in the United States.
The official coronavirus death toll is some 800 people in China. The current official death toll worldwide, outside of China, is 774. But a Chinese billionaire with a history of blowing the whistle on his former government says the real figure is much higher.
Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000. Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Whistleblower: 1.5 Million Coronavirus Cases In China, 50,000 Coronavirus Deaths In Wuhan
He also claims to have inside information that there are 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases in China. Wengui is emphatic that these are not merely quarantined or “under observation” but confirmed cases of coronavirus infection:
China has struggled to contain the coronavirus. But it has also struggled to contain public outcry against censorship and tight control of information. Dr. Li Wenliang, who sounded the alarm about the disease, succumbed to an infection and died this week. The Chinese government arrested him for blowing the whistle.
Then officials tried to suppress news of his death. Afterwards, millions of Chinese citizens saw the hashtag #IWantFreedomOfSpeech on Mandarin language social media. But the Chinese government censored that too.
Are Wengui’s Crematorium Claims Credible?
Watch VICE’s 2017 profile on Guo Wengui. At the time, he published bombshell documents alleging corruption in the Chinese government. He got the attention of the media and reportedly the U.S. State Department.
5 Types Of Ammunition To Stockpile For A Collapse
Every prepper knows it’s a great idea to stockpile ammunition when preparing for a major disaster.
You can use it for hunting, self-defense, or barter.
But which types of ammo should you stockpile?
If you plan on bartering, then you don’t want a bunch of calibers that nobody wants. And that’s just one consideration.
In this video, Reality Survival & Prepping talks about what he thinks are the 5 best types of ammunition to stockpile for a collapse.
Here are his picks:
- .22 LR – Very common, good for hunting small game, very light and small.
- 9mm Luger – Great for self-defense, fits in a wide variety of handguns.
- 5.56×45mm or .223 Remington – Also very common, cheap and effective.
- .308 Winchester – Widely used, works in AR10 and bolt-action platforms.
- 12 Gauge – You can do a lot with it — hunt, defend yourself, etc.
In the video below he makes a much more detailed case for each caliber. What do you think of this list?
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
THIS TERRIFYING BIBLE PROPHECY IS UNFOLDING BEFORE OUR EYES! >>Click Here to See it Now<<
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- DIY5 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
Pillow Floor Lounger
- DIY6 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill
- DIY7 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love
- Uncategorized5 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY7 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove