Image source: thegirlintheorange.wordpress
Even though I try to raise much of my own food, I still end up with a few empty food containers. The combination of my old-fashioned waste-not, want-not upbringing and my strong commitment to conserving resources means that I usually try very hard to reuse and upcycle whenever possible.
Whenever I can repurpose a jar, I do. Peanut butter jars are among my favorites to save, and there are a ton of uses for them. I usually buy the big four-pound size, but the smaller ones are useful for many of the same purposes. The larger jars have nice wide lids which allow easy cleaning and convenient access, and the short squat shape makes them excellent for stacking.
The labels can be a little challenging to clean off, but the key is persistence, elbow grease and really hot water. If you use a dishwasher, try removing the jars as soon as the cycle ends—the bits of paper and glue still attached will be soft and more able to be scraped off at that point.
The lightweight sturdy plastic makes them work great for hanging the jars on the bottoms of shelves and cabinets. Here is how to do that: just remove the cardboard insert from the clean lid and use three evenly spaced screws to attach it, making sure your screws are so long they poke through the top of the shelf or cabinet base. Then simply fill the jar and twist it into the lid—it is just that easy! This works best for non-food items, since removing the lid for washing will be a chore you will not want to do often. It also works best for items of light to moderate weight, as a lot of weight can put added strain on the threads and make it more challenging to open and close.
One other thing to consider when using peanut butter jars for storage is this: Plastic can take on an odor after being stored for a long time. Use discernment when switching back and forth from strong-smelling foods—once you use it for say, coffee, it will probably always smell like coffee. You also may want to avoid long-term storage of unpackaged items. Foods that come in direct contact with the jar—as opposed to things like sugar packets and store-bought granola bars, for example—should be those which you open and use often.
Another consideration is that it is possible for oily products to interact with the plastic. If you are not going to eat the contents, it is probably not a concern. But you may want to steer clear of storing items like vegetable oil or fatty foods in them.
Following is a list of useful ideas for using peanut butter jars—either attached to shelves or freestanding—around the house, homestead, barnyard and beyond.
1. Hardware. It is always nice to keep nuts, bolts, nails and screws organized and within easy reach. The clear plastic of peanut butter jars makes for easy identification at a glance.
2. Sewing notions. Buttons, snaps, Velcro strips, ric-rac, elastic, ribbons, lace and any materials you like to keep accessible for sewing projects can be easily sorted and stored in peanut butter jars.
3. Condiments. Little packets of salt, pepper, sugar, alternative sweeteners and ketchup. Whether you buy them at the store or save leftovers from take-out, it’s always nice to have some around for picnics, travel or unexpected shortages.
4. Pasta. A peanut butter jar will hold a lot of elbow noodles and ziti and more. Just a reminder—make sure the jar gets opened often enough that the pasta does not take on a plastic odor from being closed up too long.
5. Spare change. This can be super basic—just screw off the lid and drop in the contents of your pockets every day—or done up fancy. Consider creating a fancy savings bank with kids as a fun project—cut a hole in the lid to push money through without removing it, and glue the lid on if that’s the best option in your situation. You can dress the jar and lid up with paint, glitter, ribbon and glue-ons for added appeal.
6. Desk supplies. Pens, pencils, sticky note pads, paper clips and other fasteners, rubber bands, white-out tape cartridges, printer ink, spare staples and miscellaneous things are easy to keep organized and at your fingertips in recycled jars.
7. First-aid kits. Whether at home, work, or in your vehicle, a used plastic jar is a great choice to keep a small collection of Band-Aids, ointments and over-the-counter medications.
8. Dry beans. Although a label on top to indicate the variety and date of the beans is advisable, it is easy to see what you want at a glance when beans are stored in clear containers. If you eat a lot of beans, a row of matching jars with different colored beans adds a nice decorative touch in your kitchen or pantry.
9. Dog treats. I keep my treat jars attached to a cabinet bottom near the back door where the dog always gets her treats. They are up off the counter and not taking up cabinet space, are not at risk of being knocked over onto the floor, and are easy to access when I want them.
Image source: Flickr
10. Kids’ art supplies. Jars are a good way to help keep crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks, markers, scissors and erasers tidy and organized.
11. Vehicle emergency kits. Jars are perfect for granola bars, tealight candles, sheets of aluminum foil, matches, penlight flashlights, spare batteries and any other items you keep in the trunk of your car for that just-in-case situation.
12. Rice and other dry goods. I buy a wide variety of rice types—brown, Jasmine and Arborio—and like to use lightweight plastic jars to keep them all sorted on the shelf of my lazy Susan cabinet. You could also store instant potatoes, biscuit mix, pancake mix or any other dry goods in them, especially if you buy in bulk bags and want to make sure they are well-sealed against pests after opening them.
13. Ammo. Depending upon your own collection and needs, one or more empty peanut butter jars is a handy go-to for storing a variety of ammo sizes and shapes.
14. Craft supplies. Craft paints, paintbrushes and paint pens, decals, tapestry needles, rug hooks, wooden and ceramic pieces, crochet hooks, stitch counters, scissors, tape measures—whatever you do, jars are a good way to contain the small pieces and tools you need.
15. Livestock and pet meds. Sturdy plastic jars are an excellent choice for needles and syringes—designate one for new and another for used to make storage and disposal safe and easy. You also can use them to store animal medications and vaccines, especially if you keep them in your refrigerator and want to make sure they stay separate from people food. Try them also for diatomaceous earth or other supplements and top dress products.
16. Health and beauty products. Emery boards, tweezers, clippers, all sorts of hair accessories, makeup, cotton balls and Q-tips go great in jars.
17. Seeds and garden supplies. For leftover seed packets, along with spare row markers and soil thermometers and pocket magnifiers and other gardening paraphernalia, upcycled jars are just the ticket.
18. Small toys and parts. Jars are a good way to keep building blocks, doll shoes, miniature cars, playing cards, game pieces, dice and lots of other entertainment items out of the bottom of the toy box and safe from the vacuum cleaner.
19. Disposable uses. Peanut butter jars are perfect for temporary mixing and storing of items such as wood finish treatments, soaking paint brushes and other gooey jobs. They are solid enough for one-time use, and they save you having to use your expensive dishes and containers.
20. Coffee, tea and drink mixes. Jars are a great way to keep them corralled so they don’t scatter and leak and get lost all through the cupboard.
21. Camping. In my backpacking days, I carried peanut butter jars a lot. They were excellent for carrying my portable stove, preventing food from being mashed, keeping a lid on the smell of yucky trash, and even as an extra spare water container in a pinch. Family camping can benefit from recycled jars, too, helping keep kids’ treasures and tent parts and fishing lures separated.
22. Snacks. Everything from dried fruits to candy to homemade granola—it all fits nicely into a jar and looks great on the counter.
23. Frozen goods. For long-term freezer use, it is wise to use containers specifically made for the freezer. But for popping a few dozen cookies into the freezer for a couple of weeks, empty peanut butter jars are perfect. They prevent the contents from being squished and are easily opened and closed for just a handful at a time.
There are likely dozens more uses for empty peanut butter jars not included on this list. I have kept mine for years and have used them over and over. Give some of these ideas a try, and peanut butter jars may become your favorite upcycling project.
What uses would you add to our list? Share them in the section below:
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
NYC Adds Nearly 4,000 People Who Never Tested Positive To Coronavirus Death Tolls
New York City added nearly 4,000 people who never tested positive for the coronavirus to its death toll Tuesday, bringing coronavirus-related deaths in the city to around 10,000 people.
The city decided to add 3,700 people to its death tolls, who they “presumed” to have died from the virus, according to a report from The New York Times. The additions increased the death toll in the U.S. by 17%, according to the Times report, and included people who were suffering from symptoms of the virus, such as intense coughing and a fever.
The report stated that Democratic New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio decided over the weekend to change the way the city is counting deaths.
“In the heat of battle, our primary focus has been on saving lives,” de Blasio press secretary Freddi Goldstein told the Times.“As soon as the issue was raised, the mayor immediately moved to release the data.”
The Ultimate Energizer Review – Does It Really Work?
If you’re looking for a review of the ultimate energizer guide then you have come to the right spot because in this exclusive article we’re going to blow the lid off the ultimate energizer once and for all and reveal weather it is the real deal or not.
This brings us to the review of the ultimate energizer guide. This is a program that provides users with classified information on how to build a free energy generator. But can the program really make you achieve this?
does it work? will it be worth your investment, time and energy? all these questions and more are what this review on the ultimate energizer program seeks to help you find answers to.
The ultimate energizer review – is it worth it?
About The Ultimate Energizer guide
The ultimate energizer is your ultimate guide to building your own alternative and portable energy source to power up any of your household appliances including refrigerators and aircon units. It is a very affordable way to having an emergency generator that can help you save more than 50% from your electricity bills without spending too much on other alternative energy source like solar panels or wind turbines which is costly and will also need a lot of space.
The ultimate energizer causes you to be calm about the electricity bill. This well ordered guide shows you how to manufacture this claim “home energy gadget” today impeccably. This will dispose of your energy charge ensured.
It is lost to the earth which means we need to really take care of it in order to reduce the cost of energy bills which introduces the ultimate energizer guide.
About The Ultimate Energizer Creator
The creator of the complete the ultimate energizer guide is steven perkins. He found the journal of the founder of this technology in his home when his father shifted near quebec city in canada.
In this post, we will review the ultimate energizer whose creator claimed to offer a way through which you can generate non-stop current. According to the author, you can drop down your electricity bills by 80%.
Of course the ultimate energizer owners provide resources. But the truth is that you are a master creator. All of them have that talent in us. The only difference is the extent to which it is hidden in each of us.
Features of The Ultimate Energizer
The features of the ultimate energizer guide are as follows:-. This program guide will help you to design a the ultimate energizer generator which will follow the rules of linear induction motor which is built around a track that is orbicular to maintain the smooth motion of rotors that are transportable.
You can find here, a extensive review which highlights all the important features and performance criteria of the ultimate energizer. Use of the the ultimate energizer is very easy since all of the functions can be accessed in a short time; you have complete control over it. 100% money back guarantee shows that the ultimate energizer really works. The ultimate energizer gives full customer support for 7/24/365, also, features, credibility and the ultimate energizer’s ease of use are favorably satisfied by the buyers.
Use it on any electrical appliances from small clocks to big plasma tv screens, refrigerators, and air conditioners. Power the cabins while hiking to the mountains or camping. Other essential features of this complete the ultimate energizer are that it is easy to assemble and does not require a technical background to master engineering.
Pros and Cons of The Ultimate Energizer
I’ve created this honest ultimate energizer review to help you make a well-informed decision. I’ve tested it myself and now i’m going to share with you all the key aspects you may be interested in: how does it work? is it really so powerful and effective? what are its pros and cons?.
It is non-polluting. It remains popular the ultimate energizer guide pros & cons because it is both a renewable and clean source of energy. Harnessing solar energy is more than a fine idea it’s currently a reality in thousands of homes in a lot of nations around the world.
On the review of the ultimate energizer guide, we will be looking into what exactly the program is all about, the details of the energy generator program, the benefits, pros & cons and our conclusion on the program.
Does The Ultimate Energizer really work?
The device is usable during emergencies. It works without fuels and therefore there are no expected fumes. It is weather proof. Cons of the ultimate energizer. You can only download the program from the official website.
But the ultimate energizer reviews that are available from real users online on platforms like google and youtube seem to confirm that the device does indeed work. So, as per my ultimate energizer review answer to the question is the ultimate energizer legit? is definitely yes.
The ultimate energizer guide. The ultimate energizer is said to work for your home and cut electricity by 82%, guaranteed by tomorrow. The ultimate energizer reviews. It can boost any type of electricity by as much as 5 times.
Advantages of The Ultimate Energizer Program
The program can benefit you in many ways. Below we are listing the advantages of using the ultimate energizer program for generating electricity:. This device will help you save up to 60%-70%, without investing money in solar panels which can cost you a lot of money.
There are additional the ultimate energizer guide program advantages too, including advantages at tax time, so do your homework on what you might have for being a solar power pioneer contributed back.
Why The Ultimate Energizer is Useful?
The ultimate energizer is a complete guide and blueprint. With it, you get everything you need to know to build your own free energy generator. This generator can be completed for less than $50 if you have some tools already. But i remember reading another review of the ultimate energizer, and the guy said he took days. Maybe he was crafty. Then, you assemble it and get it to work.
You will be guided step by step, that anybody who can read can build it. You do not need prior building experience or massive strength; it is that easy. Building the ultimate energizer takes under 4 hours if you are slow and definitely a lot less when you have help.
The ultimate energizer has already changed the lives of over 30,000 families who chose to power their homes using this eco-friendly device. This is definitely a good investment that is worth your time and money and if you think it isn’t after trying it out, you can request for a refund.
Is The Ultimate Energizer a Scam?
The ultimate energizer guide really show you how to power your house and save tremendously, or is this just another overhyped scam? this system was created after its owner decided he wanted to have a home power generating system in case of any crises or disasters.
The ultimate energizer pdf. It does not need any conventional electric power. The ultimate energizer scam. In this program, you can also build more generator and sell for profit. This product can also be incorporated into the automobile to power an electric motor.
All you need is an open mind and a desire to try new things to get a life in the field of freedom of energy. So, what are you waiting for? it’s time to say goodbye to major energy companies and start using the ultimate energizer guide today.
Watch this video demonstration of the ultimate energizer guide put into action
Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!
Get Two Pocket Air Pros Worth $99.00 FREE With Your Purchase Of A Pocket Power
Even Better: We’ve also lowered the price of the Pocket Power X. Great Gear, Great Price.
Offer ends on Monday at midnight!
The post <span style="color:#ff0000">Better Off-Grid Deal Yet? Good This Weekend Only!</span> appeared first on Off The Grid News.
This Article Was Originally Posted On offthegridnews.com Read the Original Article here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- Uncategorized4 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- DIY4 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY6 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love
- DIY5 years ago
Pillow Floor Lounger
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill