When it comes to world-changing disasters, some scenarios are certainly more likely than others. With that said, it’s still a good idea to at least be aware of every possible disaster in order to avoid being caught off guard should the improbable become a reality.
Below, we’ll cover 11 disasters that are highly unlikely but still worth preparing for. To be honest, some of them are so extreme that there really isn’t much you can do to prepare, but try your best.
Want to save this post for later? Click Here to Pin It on Pinterest!
Now without further ado, here’s my list of unlikely disasters (in alphabetical order):
1. Alien Invasion
Our universe is massive, and the chances that we are the only intelligent species living in it are quite small. In fact, there’s quite a bit of evidence to support the idea that we have already been visited by an alien species, as documents detailing military encounters with unidentified flying objects continue to be declassified.
Should we ever encounter the full force of alien race that is hostile towards us, the outcome could be disastrous. After all, if they are the ones who find us first, there’s no questioning who is more advanced, and humanity could find itself in a war with a species that is thousands of years ahead of us in terms of military technology.
As Stephen Hawking once said, “Meeting an advanced civilization could be like Native Americans encountering Columbus. That didn’t turn out so well.”
The likelihood of an alien invasion is incredibly small given that there is still no solid proof that alien life even exists. However, the mathematical probability that there is more than one advanced civilization in our universe makes an alien invasion something that is possible.
2. Asteroid Impact
Another threat from space that is arguably more likely than an alien invasion is an impact with a large asteroid. It has happened several times in our planet’s history, and the last time it happened, the result was the extinction of most life on earth.
A major asteroid impact would dramatically alter the weather across the planet, making it largely uninhabitable for a long period of time. The good news is that NASA is very vigilant about monitoring large objects that come close to the earth’s orbit, and they are working on a number of technologies that could be used to divert the path of a large asteroid that is headed toward earth.
The odds of being struck by lightning at any point in your lifetime are about 1 in 3000. While low, this is still a little too high for comfort given how dangerous lightning strikes can be.
Of course, there are precautions you can take in order to reduce your chances of being struck by lightning such as remaining indoors during thunderstorms, avoiding tall objects such as trees when the threat of lightning is present, and avoiding taking a bath/shower or talking on a landline telephone during a lightning storm.
4. Magnetic Pole Reversal
It’s a difficult concept to understand, but every few hundred thousand years, the magnetic poles on earth swap places. This means that at some point in history, if you live in the United States, your compass is going to tell you that Mexico is to the north and that Canada is to the south.
The danger posed by these magnetic pole reversals is the fact that the earth’s magnetic field is weakened during the reversal process. This means that while the poles are flipping places – a process that can take thousands of years – life on earth is more exposed to harmful radiation from outer space. Whether a magnetic pole reversal would weaken the magnetic field enough to kill off life on earth is largely unknown.
5. Nuclear Winter
Contrary to popular belief, a few nuclear explosions is not enough to alter the weather on our planet. After all, there was a time when countries were testing nuclear bombs with a pretty high frequency.
A nuclear winter occurs when nuclear explosions have thrown so much dust and debris up into the atmosphere that the sun’s rays are blocked out, causing plant life on the planet to die off.
While there are certainly enough nuclear weapons on earth to cause a nuclear winter if all of them were detonated within a short period of time, world leaders are well aware of this risk and are determined to avoid such an all-out nuclear war at all costs, making the risk of a nuclear winter rather slim…for now.
6. Plane Crash
According to The Economist, the likelihood of plane crashing at any given time is about one in 5.4 million. Taking a car out on the interstate is far more dangerous than flying on a plane, largely due to the fact that there is very little traffic in the air compared to the road.
However, planes do crash sometimes, and it’s a good idea to learn how to survive a plane crash, especially if you are a frequent flier.
7. Robot Uprising
Having artificial intelligence turn against us may sound like something out of a science fiction movie, but the reality is that it is a real threat. The day where we are able to create an AI that is more intelligent and more capable than we are is fast approaching, and there’s no guarantee that we’re going to be able to control it when we do.
In fact, a robot uprising is enough of a concern that technology giants such as Elon Musk and several others are actively working to ensure that we don’t create an AI that is capable of destroying us.
The sky is the limit when it comes to what a super-intelligent AI could do if it went rogue. Hacking into the nuclear launch facilities of every superpower on Earth and simultaneously launching every nuclear warhead in existence is just one possible way that an AI could end life on earth if it wanted to.
With that said, plenty of precautions should be enough to ensure that the AIs we create are not capable of turning against us. Here’s an interesting article about the possibility of a robot apocalypse.
8. Solar Flare
A solar flare occurs when the sun releases a violent burst of magnetic energy that is shot out into space. While solar flares are typically not strong enough to cause any noticeable effect on our planet, an especially strong solar flare could decimate power grids across the world, knocking the entire planet into darkness.
Without electricity, the majority of mankind would not survive for very long. Here’s an article about what would happen if a massive solar storm hit the Earth.
9. Super Volcano Eruption
Volcano eruptions are not uncommon and can cause serious issues for anyone living in the surrounding area. However, there are a few massive volcanos on the planet that are lying dormant. They are known as super volcanos. Should one of these super volcanos ever erupt, the consequences could be world-ending.
A supervolcano eruption would throw so much ash up into the atmosphere that the sun would be blocked out, causing plant life on earth to die off. Without plants, the rest of life on earth would soon follow. There are about twenty supervolcanoes around the world, including one in Yellowstone national park.
Tsunamis are fairly common disasters that can be devastating to coastal cities, but most tsunamis are only large enough to affect a relatively small portion of the coast. There is the possibility of a tsunami that is large enough to flood the entire east or west coast of the United States, crippling the entire country in the process and turning some of our most populated areas into flooded wastelands.
It’s a small risk given that there has never been a tsunami this large in recorded history. However, there have been many tsunamis large enough to wipe out entire cities. For example, in 2004, a tsunami in the Indian ocean killed 230,000 people in a matter of hours.
11. Zombie Apocalypse
A major plague that kills off a large portion of mankind is actually one of the more likely disasters that we might face. A major plague that turns its victims into mindless, flesh-eating monsters, however, is quite unlikely.
Nevertheless, a zombie apocalypse is not something that is entirely within the realm of fiction, as there are already viruses that can cause zombie-like symptoms in the infected. With the right mutations, a virus causing people to turn into zombies – or at least some zombie-like form – is possible.
Like this post? Don’t forget to Pin It on Pinterest!
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
4 No Cook Meals For Surviving The Pandemic And Food Supply Shortages
When it comes to your food supply, you just can’t risk not having enough. These no cook meals will be a great addition to your food supply planning. Check out the recipes below!
No Cook Meals to Help You Through the Pandemic
As of the writing of this article, there are 20 meat processing plants that have been shut down due to COVID-19 infections. We have been worrying about these types of effects on our food supply for months now, and this is the first real sign of how infections can affect the food supply.
When you walk into a supermarket, you might not see all the choices you had in the past. An empty meat case is a humbling thing for your eyes to fall upon. It’s the shocking realization that the seemingly infinite supply of chickens, pigs, and cows that are butchered for us has begun to run dry!
To deal with this issue, we are going to present four no cook meals that will help you create dinners at home that will feed your family without worrying so much about what’s available, or unavailable, in the meat case.
1. Smashed White Bean, Avocado and Salted Pork Sandwiches
As preppers we get beans. There are a bunch of ways to use beans and this a great example of how you can pack a sandwich with great nutrition and protein.
Serving: Makes 4 sandwiches
- Can of White Beans
- Olive Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 8 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- 8 Slices of Salted Pork (Prosciutto, Ham, Virginia Ham)
- Begin by draining your beans in a colander then smashing them up in a bowl add a few glugs of olive oil, salt, pepper. This little mix is delicious. If you add some minced rosemary, you can even turn this into a delicious dip.
- Pit your avocado and cut it in half and then quarters lengthwise. Leave the skin on.
- Lay the bread out on a clean work surface for assembling the sandwiches.
- Spread your mashed bean mix onto one side of the bread.
- Peel your avocados and slice 1 quarter for each sandwich. Spread slices over the bean spread.
- Add a few slices of your pork to over the top of the avocado.
- You can finish this sandwich with some lettuces, fresh sprouts, or just eat it as is.
2. Delicious Crab Salad
Canned crab is a protein option that will likely be around through much of this meat crisis. It does have to be kept in refrigeration, but it’s delicious and this chipotle mayo salad is great in the spring and summer.
- 1 Can of Crab Meat
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- Drain your crab in a colander and set it in the sink.
- Slice your asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Throw them into a bowl.
- Thinly slice your onions and your cilantro and throw that into the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss in the crab meat.
- Squirt on enough Chipotle mayo to coat everything and toss gently not to break up the crab meat.
- Chill in the fridge and serve.
3. Simple Greek Salad
The combination of simple summer ingredients makes for an incredible quick salad that you could add other proteins, too, if you wanted. These could be canned meats.
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Red Onion
- ¼ Cup of Feta Cheese
- A Few Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- ½ Cup of Kalamata Olives
- Balsamic Dressing
- I like to cut the tomatoes in large chunks and have them kind of be the main course in this salad. Peel and slice your cucumber in half. Remove the seeds and either dice or slice in half-moons.
- Peel and slice your red onion in half. Julienne your, or thinly slice, your half onion.
- Add all these ingredients to a bowl. Finely slice your mint.
- Add your olives, crumbled feta, and mint to the bowl and add enough dressing to coat everything.
- Stir it up and allow this to chill for at least an hour for the flavors to really blend.
4. Mediterranean Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Using some similar ingredients and adding a protein like tuna, you can create some delicious lettuce wraps. The key to a good lettuce wrap is to have most of the items around the same size. So, consider that when you are preparing this dish.
- Iceberg or Butter Lettuce
- Canned Artichokes
- Canned roasted Red peppers
- Fresh Cucumber
- Feta Cheese
- Minced Olives ¼ Cup
- 2 Cans of Tuna
- Green Onions
- Start by peeling all the full leaves from your lettuce. Set them on a plate either cover them with a wet paper towel or put them back into the fridge.
- Dice the peppers, artichokes, and cucumbers into cubes. Go no larger than ½ an inch.
- Thinly slice your green onions and basil and add them to a bowl with your diced vegetables. Add your loves to this bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Crumble your feta cheese over the mixture.
- Drain your tuna thoroughly and then add that to the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss this mixture. Try not to break up the tuna and the cheese too much but incorporate it thoroughly.
- If you want, you can add some olive oil to the mix or a few glugs of balsamic vinegar. It’s also delicious just how it is.
- Scoop a few tablespoons into a lettuce leaf, wrap it up and eat up!
These no cook meals should help lessen the stress you feel when thinking of what to feed your family. If you don’t have the specific ingredients, use your creativity, and use what you have. You might discover a new recipe while you’re at it!
What’s your favorite no cook meal recipe? Please share it with us in the comments section!
- Essential Survival Fuel: No-Cook Overnight Oats
- Dehydrated Foods to Try This Weekend
- 13 Dried And Canned Foods With The Longest Shelf Lives
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
Billionaire Whistle Blower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
- Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000.
A Chinese billionaire and whistleblower who lives in U.S. exile says Wuhan crematoriums have burned 50,000 coronavirus victims. | Credit: Chinatopix via AP
- The official coronavirus death toll in China is a little over 800. But an exiled Chinese businessman says crematoriums are leaking the real figure.
- A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.
- Guo Wengui is a Chinese billionaire living in exile in the United States.
The official coronavirus death toll is some 800 people in China. The current official death toll worldwide, outside of China, is 774. But a Chinese billionaire with a history of blowing the whistle on his former government says the real figure is much higher.
Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000. Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Whistleblower: 1.5 Million Coronavirus Cases In China, 50,000 Coronavirus Deaths In Wuhan
He also claims to have inside information that there are 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases in China. Wengui is emphatic that these are not merely quarantined or “under observation” but confirmed cases of coronavirus infection:
China has struggled to contain the coronavirus. But it has also struggled to contain public outcry against censorship and tight control of information. Dr. Li Wenliang, who sounded the alarm about the disease, succumbed to an infection and died this week. The Chinese government arrested him for blowing the whistle.
Then officials tried to suppress news of his death. Afterwards, millions of Chinese citizens saw the hashtag #IWantFreedomOfSpeech on Mandarin language social media. But the Chinese government censored that too.
Are Wengui’s Crematorium Claims Credible?
Watch VICE’s 2017 profile on Guo Wengui. At the time, he published bombshell documents alleging corruption in the Chinese government. He got the attention of the media and reportedly the U.S. State Department.
5 Types Of Ammunition To Stockpile For A Collapse
Every prepper knows it’s a great idea to stockpile ammunition when preparing for a major disaster.
You can use it for hunting, self-defense, or barter.
But which types of ammo should you stockpile?
If you plan on bartering, then you don’t want a bunch of calibers that nobody wants. And that’s just one consideration.
In this video, Reality Survival & Prepping talks about what he thinks are the 5 best types of ammunition to stockpile for a collapse.
Here are his picks:
- .22 LR – Very common, good for hunting small game, very light and small.
- 9mm Luger – Great for self-defense, fits in a wide variety of handguns.
- 5.56×45mm or .223 Remington – Also very common, cheap and effective.
- .308 Winchester – Widely used, works in AR10 and bolt-action platforms.
- 12 Gauge – You can do a lot with it — hunt, defend yourself, etc.
In the video below he makes a much more detailed case for each caliber. What do you think of this list?
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY3 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- Uncategorized3 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to make a Speaker Ammo Can Boom Box
- Uncategorized6 years ago
Obama’s Speech is Hated OMG With No Better Ideas