This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase, I'll earn a small fee at no extra cost to you.*
A tool that has been around since mankind first began chipping rocks into weapons, few items are more essential to an outdoorsman or survivalist than a quality knife.
As with any versatile tool, though, knives serve a wide range of purposes – some better than others, depending on the blade you choose. From skinning an animal to chopping up kindling for a fire to defending yourself in hand-to-hand combat, there are plenty of reasons to have a good knife during a disaster.
In fact, since there’s a wide range of functions any given knife can excel at, it’s a good idea for serious survivalists to have a range of knives available that they can employ depending on what the situation calls for.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of the eleven best knives to have in a disaster as well as an explanation for why each one made the list. Far from the dime-store pocketknives that are so common, these quality knives are all blades that would be great to have disaster scenario.
The ever-popular Ka-Bar is a knife that owes its fame to none other than the United States Marines. Since 1942, the Marines have trusted the Ka-Bar to be their standard issue knife, and with good reason. This knife is razor sharp, it’s blackened so it doesn’t reflect light, and it’s tough enough to handle utility jobs as well as serve as a deadly means of self-defense.
If you want a knife that is more battle proven than any other, you can’t go wrong with the Ka-Bar, and in a disaster scenario, any knife that is good enough for the Marine Corps is sure to come in handy.
Bear Grylls may be as much of an entertaining celebrity as he is a serious survivalist, but there’s nothing “for show” about the knife that bears his name. The Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife features a waffle-head hammer on the pommel, an emergency whistle, and a spark rod and striker notch all integrated into the knife as well as a quality 7Cr17MOV stainless steel blade that comes in fine-edge or half serrated.
In a disaster, the Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife gives you all the functionality of a sharp, fixed-blade knife plus the ability to start a fire and signal for help.
The unique looking Spyderco Civilian enjoys a history that is just as unique as its design. In the late 1980’s, US federal law enforcement approached Spyderco with an interesting challenge: design a self-defense knife for undercover agents who could not carry a sidearm that could be effectively used by someone with little or no knife-fighting training. The design that Spyderco came up with is one that turns a person’s instinctive self-defense motions into deadly slashing attacks. To this day, if you want a knife that gives someone with no knife-fight training the best possible chance of defending themselves, you turn to the Spyderco Civilian.
While this knife’s unique shape and needle-tip point limit its use as a utility tool, its effectiveness in a hand-to-hand combat situation is devastating. If you are in a disaster scenario and are carrying a knife as a primary or secondary means of self-defense, this knife is an excellent choice.
For those who want a high-quality, multi-purpose folder that is still sharp enough to use in a self-defense scenario, the Cold Steel Recon 1 is a fine choice. Cold Steel has built a reputation for producing knives that are razor sharp and built to withstand extreme torture testing. The company’s patented Tri-Ad lock gives the Recon 1 the strength of a fixed-blade knife in a folding design, leading to this knife being billed as “sharp as a scalpel and tough as a tank”.
If you want a razor-sharp workhorse folder that is up to any task, you can’t go wrong with the Cold Steel Recon 1. In a disaster scenario, the Cold Steel Recon 1 is able to serve a wide range of functions, making it a good EDC knife.
The fact that the SOG Seal Pup Elite is often the knife of choice for Navy SEALs and other elite special forces from around the world says all you need to know about this quality blade. The Seal Pup Elite features a long, ergonomic handle, a thick blade for tearing through a range of tasks with ease, and a wicked sharp edge and needlepoint.
The result is a versatile knife that is just as at-home on the campsite as it is in a covert operation, making it ideal for a wide range of disaster scenarios.
The Kukri knife was (and in many cases still is) the standard knife of both the Nepalese people and the Nepalese military, serving as their primary tool for jungle survival and hand-to-hand combat. Featuring an inwardly curved blade, the Gurkha Kukri is one part knife and one part machete. Few designs over the years have been able to rival this blade’s sheer chopping power, and Cold Steel’s take on this classic knife is one of the best available.
Whether you are chopping your way through the jungle or fending off attackers, the razor-sharp Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri is up to the task, making it ideal to have around should disaster strike.
The classic Swiss Army knife might not be the blade you turn to in a knife-fight, but for almost every other imaginable scenario, it’s a handy tool to have in your pocket. While there is a wide range of Swiss Army knives available–from tiny minimalist versions that feature only a few basic tools, to giant bulky versions that feature hundreds of different tools–the SwissChamp Swiss Army knife by Victorinox is somewhat of a happy medium.
This knife is small enough to be convenient and easily used while still large enough to contain all of the tools you could possibly need. In a disaster scenario, you never know what tool could end up being useful, making this multi-purpose knife a great one to have around.
In the right hands, any decently sharp blade is capable of dressing out a kill. However, some knives do it better than others. With the Gerber Field Dress Kit, you get two knives that, together, will make quick work out of any game, big or small. The first knife in the kit features a thick blade, curved edge, and a gut hook for tackling the toughest tasks involved with field dressing a kill, while the second blade is much thinner for tasks that require a little more finesse.
Both knives piggyback into the same sheath, a sheath that also features a built-in carbide sharpener. If you plan on hunting for game should disaster strike, you will need a quality hunting knife like the Gerber Field Dress Kit.
The Spyderco Tenacious remains one of the most popular folding knives of all time for the simple reason that it’s got everything you could want out of an EDC folder: a sharp edge, quality locking mechanism, and a design that allows the blade to quickly and fluidly be opened with a single hand.
The Spyderco Tenacious is one of those knives that is good for everything a knife is used for instead of being great for one specific thing, making it ideal for having on you at all times should you find yourself caught up in a disaster.
If you like a knife with a little bit of an intimidation factor, then the Cold Steel Espada is the knife for you. The Espada is one of the largest folders available, featuring a 7.5-inch blade that is sharpened to a razor edge. For being such a large knife, the Espada is surprisingly concealable, with a slim profile and a relatively light weight, making it easy to carry so long as you’ve got roomy pockets. Arguably the best thing about this knife is its wave open feature which, with a little practice, allows you to open the blade automatically the second you pull it out of your pocket, springing the massive blade into action with a satisfyingly solid click.
To top it all off, the Espada–with its polished aluminum frame, stainless steel blade, and polished G10 handle–is simply a beautiful knife. In a disaster scenario, this knife shines best as a means of self-defense, though it is sturdy enough to put to work on a number of other tasks as well.
One of the most famous names in the knife world, Buck has a reputation for producing high-quality knives geared towards hunters and outdoorsmen. The Buck SELLKIRK Survival Knife features everything you would expect out of a Buck knife, from its wood handle to its razor sharp blade, as well as a sheath that features a removable fire striker.
A combination that offers you the quality of a Buck fixed-blade knife, as well as the ability to get a fire started, is a hard deal to pass up, making the SELLKIRK a survivalist favorite and a good knife to have around when disaster strikes.
What’s your favorite survival knife? Tell us why!
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
4 No Cook Meals For Surviving The Pandemic And Food Supply Shortages
When it comes to your food supply, you just can’t risk not having enough. These no cook meals will be a great addition to your food supply planning. Check out the recipes below!
No Cook Meals to Help You Through the Pandemic
As of the writing of this article, there are 20 meat processing plants that have been shut down due to COVID-19 infections. We have been worrying about these types of effects on our food supply for months now, and this is the first real sign of how infections can affect the food supply.
When you walk into a supermarket, you might not see all the choices you had in the past. An empty meat case is a humbling thing for your eyes to fall upon. It’s the shocking realization that the seemingly infinite supply of chickens, pigs, and cows that are butchered for us has begun to run dry!
To deal with this issue, we are going to present four no cook meals that will help you create dinners at home that will feed your family without worrying so much about what’s available, or unavailable, in the meat case.
1. Smashed White Bean, Avocado and Salted Pork Sandwiches
As preppers we get beans. There are a bunch of ways to use beans and this a great example of how you can pack a sandwich with great nutrition and protein.
Serving: Makes 4 sandwiches
- Can of White Beans
- Olive Oil
- 1 Avocado
- 8 Slices of Whole Grain Bread
- 8 Slices of Salted Pork (Prosciutto, Ham, Virginia Ham)
- Begin by draining your beans in a colander then smashing them up in a bowl add a few glugs of olive oil, salt, pepper. This little mix is delicious. If you add some minced rosemary, you can even turn this into a delicious dip.
- Pit your avocado and cut it in half and then quarters lengthwise. Leave the skin on.
- Lay the bread out on a clean work surface for assembling the sandwiches.
- Spread your mashed bean mix onto one side of the bread.
- Peel your avocados and slice 1 quarter for each sandwich. Spread slices over the bean spread.
- Add a few slices of your pork to over the top of the avocado.
- You can finish this sandwich with some lettuces, fresh sprouts, or just eat it as is.
2. Delicious Crab Salad
Canned crab is a protein option that will likely be around through much of this meat crisis. It does have to be kept in refrigeration, but it’s delicious and this chipotle mayo salad is great in the spring and summer.
- 1 Can of Crab Meat
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Bunch of Green Onions
- 1 Bunch of Cilantro
- Drain your crab in a colander and set it in the sink.
- Slice your asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Throw them into a bowl.
- Thinly slice your onions and your cilantro and throw that into the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss in the crab meat.
- Squirt on enough Chipotle mayo to coat everything and toss gently not to break up the crab meat.
- Chill in the fridge and serve.
3. Simple Greek Salad
The combination of simple summer ingredients makes for an incredible quick salad that you could add other proteins, too, if you wanted. These could be canned meats.
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Red Onion
- ¼ Cup of Feta Cheese
- A Few Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- ½ Cup of Kalamata Olives
- Balsamic Dressing
- I like to cut the tomatoes in large chunks and have them kind of be the main course in this salad. Peel and slice your cucumber in half. Remove the seeds and either dice or slice in half-moons.
- Peel and slice your red onion in half. Julienne your, or thinly slice, your half onion.
- Add all these ingredients to a bowl. Finely slice your mint.
- Add your olives, crumbled feta, and mint to the bowl and add enough dressing to coat everything.
- Stir it up and allow this to chill for at least an hour for the flavors to really blend.
4. Mediterranean Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Using some similar ingredients and adding a protein like tuna, you can create some delicious lettuce wraps. The key to a good lettuce wrap is to have most of the items around the same size. So, consider that when you are preparing this dish.
- Iceberg or Butter Lettuce
- Canned Artichokes
- Canned roasted Red peppers
- Fresh Cucumber
- Feta Cheese
- Minced Olives ¼ Cup
- 2 Cans of Tuna
- Green Onions
- Start by peeling all the full leaves from your lettuce. Set them on a plate either cover them with a wet paper towel or put them back into the fridge.
- Dice the peppers, artichokes, and cucumbers into cubes. Go no larger than ½ an inch.
- Thinly slice your green onions and basil and add them to a bowl with your diced vegetables. Add your loves to this bowl and mix them thoroughly.
- Crumble your feta cheese over the mixture.
- Drain your tuna thoroughly and then add that to the bowl, as well.
- Gently toss this mixture. Try not to break up the tuna and the cheese too much but incorporate it thoroughly.
- If you want, you can add some olive oil to the mix or a few glugs of balsamic vinegar. It’s also delicious just how it is.
- Scoop a few tablespoons into a lettuce leaf, wrap it up and eat up!
These no cook meals should help lessen the stress you feel when thinking of what to feed your family. If you don’t have the specific ingredients, use your creativity, and use what you have. You might discover a new recipe while you’re at it!
What’s your favorite no cook meal recipe? Please share it with us in the comments section!
- Essential Survival Fuel: No-Cook Overnight Oats
- Dehydrated Foods to Try This Weekend
- 13 Dried And Canned Foods With The Longest Shelf Lives
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
Billionaire Whistle Blower: Wuhan Coronavirus Death Toll Is Over 50,000
- Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000.
A Chinese billionaire and whistleblower who lives in U.S. exile says Wuhan crematoriums have burned 50,000 coronavirus victims. | Credit: Chinatopix via AP
- The official coronavirus death toll in China is a little over 800. But an exiled Chinese businessman says crematoriums are leaking the real figure.
- A billionaire whistleblower alleges Wuhan has crematoriums working 24/7. He claims they’ve cremated some 50,000 coronavirus victims.
- Guo Wengui is a Chinese billionaire living in exile in the United States.
The official coronavirus death toll is some 800 people in China. The current official death toll worldwide, outside of China, is 774. But a Chinese billionaire with a history of blowing the whistle on his former government says the real figure is much higher.
Exiled Chinese businessman Guo Wengui recently revealed leaks from Wuhan crematoriums. He claims based on the number of bodies their furnaces are burning, the death toll could be as high as 50,000. Wengui made the bombshell allegations in an interview with former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.
Whistleblower: 1.5 Million Coronavirus Cases In China, 50,000 Coronavirus Deaths In Wuhan
He also claims to have inside information that there are 1.5 million confirmed coronavirus cases in China. Wengui is emphatic that these are not merely quarantined or “under observation” but confirmed cases of coronavirus infection:
China has struggled to contain the coronavirus. But it has also struggled to contain public outcry against censorship and tight control of information. Dr. Li Wenliang, who sounded the alarm about the disease, succumbed to an infection and died this week. The Chinese government arrested him for blowing the whistle.
Then officials tried to suppress news of his death. Afterwards, millions of Chinese citizens saw the hashtag #IWantFreedomOfSpeech on Mandarin language social media. But the Chinese government censored that too.
Are Wengui’s Crematorium Claims Credible?
Watch VICE’s 2017 profile on Guo Wengui. At the time, he published bombshell documents alleging corruption in the Chinese government. He got the attention of the media and reportedly the U.S. State Department.
5 Types Of Ammunition To Stockpile For A Collapse
Every prepper knows it’s a great idea to stockpile ammunition when preparing for a major disaster.
You can use it for hunting, self-defense, or barter.
But which types of ammo should you stockpile?
If you plan on bartering, then you don’t want a bunch of calibers that nobody wants. And that’s just one consideration.
In this video, Reality Survival & Prepping talks about what he thinks are the 5 best types of ammunition to stockpile for a collapse.
Here are his picks:
- .22 LR – Very common, good for hunting small game, very light and small.
- 9mm Luger – Great for self-defense, fits in a wide variety of handguns.
- 5.56×45mm or .223 Remington – Also very common, cheap and effective.
- .308 Winchester – Widely used, works in AR10 and bolt-action platforms.
- 12 Gauge – You can do a lot with it — hunt, defend yourself, etc.
In the video below he makes a much more detailed case for each caliber. What do you think of this list?
This article first appeared on urbansurvivalsite.com See it here
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Make a Powerful Mini Foundry
- DIY3 years ago
Try these Cute Christmas Rock Painting ideas for Kids
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a 16 Brick Rocket Stove
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to Build a Cabin in 7days for Under $5k
- Uncategorized3 years ago
Bug Out Cabin Tips | How To Build The Ultimate Survival Shelter
- DIY5 years ago
How To Make An Outdoor Kitchen Upcycled Pallet Outdoor Grill
- DIY6 years ago
DIY How to make a Speaker Ammo Can Boom Box
- DIY5 years ago
15 DIY PVC Projects You’ll Love