Survival items come in different forms and monetary value, and this list comes dirt-cheap! At only $5, you can complete an emergency survival kit. From food, tools, and OTC drugs, there are a lot of survival items you can get at this small amount and even less. Complete your survival kit with low-cost survival items in this list!
Must-Have Survival Items You Can Get for Only $5 and Under!
In this article:
Building a Survival Kit
I am always on the lookout for great deals for prepping my survival supplies. I was scouring through a few forums and ran across this post from way back 2008. Even though I'm sure that inflation has taken its toll on the items below, they are still an incredibly cheap and quick way to boost your preps without destroying your budget.
After reading scores of threads of people asking how to get started prepping, having to “sneak” prepping from their spouse, or “don't have the money” to prep, I thought I would put together a thread that would cover each.
The goal of this thread is to demonstrate that prepping is possible for just $ 5.00 per week. I do not think that I know anyone who could not spare five bucks per week to invest in the ability to feed yourself and your family in the event of being affected by some form of disaster.
For just $ 5.00 +/- you can buy the following storable things:
First off in this list are the essentials tummy fillers:
1. Five packages of Idahoan instant potatoes (flavored)
2. A case of ramen noodles (20 packages)
3. Five cans of sardines
4. Five gallons of purified water
5. Nearly two cases of bottled water
6. Four cans of peaches, pears, or fruit cocktail
7. 2 jars of mandarin oranges
8. Five pounds of rice
9. Three to four pounds of spaghetti
10. Two cans of spaghetti sauce
11. Three bags of egg noodles
12. Eight packages of gravy mix
13. Four cans of whole or sliced new potatoes
14. Four cans of green beans or at least three cans of carrots, greens, peas, or mixed veggies
15. Two cans of Yams
16. Six cans of pork and beans
17. One 40 ounces can of Dinty Moore beef stew
18. Two 12 ounce cans of chicken, tuna, or roast beef
19. One 1lb canned ham
20. Three cans of refried beans
21. Three 12 oz cans of ravioli or spaghetti O's.
22. Two 12.5 ounce cans of salmon
23. Five pounds of oatmeal
24. Four packages Dinty Moore heat and eat meals
25. Five packages of cornbread mix
26. Four pounds of sugar
27. Five pounds of flour
28. 1.5 quarts of cooking oil
29. Three one-pound bags of dry beans
30. Two cans of apple juice
31. A jar of peanut butter
32. Two boxes of yeast
33. Two bags of generic breakfast cereal
34. 10 8 oz cans of tomato paste or tomato sauce
35. Four cans of soup
36. Four cans of Chunky soup
37. 8-10 pounds of iodized salt
38. Two bottles of garlic powder or other spices
39. Two boxes of kool aid
40. A can of coffee
41. 2 bottles of powdered coffee creamer
Tips When Packing Food Items for a Survival Kit:
- Consider your family's tastes and needs (these must be food items family members are familiar with to help relieve stress in a traumatic survival situation, in short, foods to lift their spirit).
- Take foods which do not require special preparation and refrigeration.
- Always check the expiry date.
- Use tight-seal containers when storing perishable foods like biscuits.
Items in this list include tools for hunting food, self-defense, and shelter-making. There are also items to help you prepare food and drinking water. There are also items essential for safety or for first-aid. Make your life a bit easier even while on a survival situation with the following items:
43. One manual can opener
43. Two bottles of camp stove fuel
44. 100 rounds of .22lr ammo
45. 25 rounds of 12 ga birdshot or small game loads
46. 20 rounds of Monarch 7.62×39 ammo
47. A spool of 12 lb test monofilament fishing line
48. 2 packages of hooks and some sinkers or corks
49. Artificial bait
50. Two packages of soft plastic worms
51. Three Bic lighters or two big boxes of matches
52. A package of tea lights
53. 50 ft of paracord
54. A roll of duct tape
55. A box of nails or other fasteners
56. A flashlight
57. Two D-batteries, four AA or AAA batteries, or two 9v batteries
58. A toothbrush and toothpaste
59. A bag of disposable razors
60. Eight bars of ivory soap (it floats)
61. A box of tampons or bag of pads for the ladies
62. Two gallons of bleach
63. Needles and thread
64. A ball of yarn
OTC Medications (at Dollar General)
If you do not have in-depth knowledge of medicinal plants, then these OTCs are must have survival items. These are items to combat small to serious health issues or help ease your ailments as you are on your way for help. At $5 or less you can make an emergency and first-aid kit with the following items:
65. A bottles 1000 count 500 mg generic Tylenol (Acetaminophen)
66. A bottles 500 counts 200 mg generic Advil (Ibuprofen)
67. A box of 24 counts 25 mg generic Benadryl (Diphenhydramine HCI)–also available at Walgreens under “sleep aids”
68. 2 bottles 500 count 325 mg aspirin
69. A box of generic Sudafed
70. 2 bottles of alcohol
71. A box of bandages (4×4)
Watch this video from Drop Forged Survival for tips on completing your survival items list:
A jar of peanut butter and a box of bandages can mean survival for you or someone with you in a survival situation. These survival items, individually, may seem unimportant but combined and it could be just what saves you. Complete your survival and emergency kit $5 at a time and you can have the ultimate survival essentials in time!
What can you add to this list to help the rest of us get prepped for under $5.00? We're eager to have this list bumped up with your ideas in the comments section below!
Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on September 16, 2013, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
This Article Was First Found at survivallife.com Read The Original Article Here
FREE Ebook! "The Secrets To Living Off The Grid"...
Simply enter your best email in the form and click the download now button. Then make sure to confirm your email to get access and never miss our exclusive updates.